You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Messages in VR

Ueli Schaepper

Ueli Schaepper
Posted
Posted

Notification from Vatsim Client in MSFS 2020 not able to delete/respond by mouseclick in cockpit while in VR mode. It works in 2D mode. This was no issue before SU8. So when I fly I get all the messages from the Vatsim but cannot clear them, but I need some messages from ATC and so I would need to go back to the normal Cockpit view to respond with the mouseclick. I contacted MSFS support but they sent me to 3rd party support

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill Padley

• Ross Carlson

• David Black

• John Pool

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill Padley

Bill Padley 12 posts

• Ross Carlson

Ross Carlson 10 posts

• David Black

David Black 9 posts

• John Pool

John Pool 7 posts

Popular Days

• May 30 2022

8 posts

• Jun 3 2022

8 posts

• Jun 25 2022

5 posts

• Jun 5 2022

5 posts

Popular Posts

Victor Viana

Hello guys,    Is There a plan to take vPilot inside sim environment? I mean, while in VR i can't check vPilot or vatsim map easily to check for ATC Availability, if I could take vpilot or e

Bill Padley

I guess thats a no then ! ...a real shame...more and more are using VR, and this pretty much makes it almost impossible to use vatsim while flying Vr without repeatedly taking goggles off and on... 

Craig Farrell

Hmm.. looks pretty straight forward.  I have a plugin running already and logging things 🙂  Now to figure out how to communicate with an FS window and we are in business (maybe text files to start wit

Posted Images

David Black
Posted
Posted

For reference, I have also noticed this bug since SU8 in VR

Ueli Schaepper
Posted
Posted

Hi David 

I think knowbody is taking care about this issue, not msfs Support, not FBW, not vclient support nor swift project. It seems knowbody is flying with Vatsim in VR🙁

• 1 month later...
Ueli Schaepper
Posted
Posted

Attention Developer 

this is what Microsoft support is answering:

Microsoft Flight Simulator Support Team (Microsoft Flight Simulator) 

May 3, 2022, 16:12 GMT+2 

Hi Ueli,

The VR team confirmed that this type of notification is clickable in VR in the original sim. If this is not the case on your side, it means that your 3rdP software is sending the wrong kind of notification. Your software is sending a "standard" notification instead of a "VR" notification which is why the notification is not clickable in VR. 

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

What notification are you referring to?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Ueli Schaepper
Posted
Posted

When flying and having software notification in the sim enabled, personal messages from Vatsim ATC and messages from other Vatsim Users will be displayed in the simulator as text and you may let them disappear by mouseclick on this text. This works fine in normal 2D mode, but in VR mode it doesn‘t works and the all the text messages will be displayed forever. And this makes the flying in VR mode and active Vatsim connetion allmost impossible, since you habe to cancel VR in order  to get rid of the message by mouseclick in 2D mode.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Ahh, okay. So it sounds like there is some other way for apps like vPilot to send notifications for VR mode. That's very strange. The sim should just automatically use the VR mode notifications if the sim is in VR mode. Why should the external third-party app have to behave differently? Oh well.

Ueli Schaepper
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well, you should talk to asobo about this. As an old software developer i just understand , „talk to each other“….. regards Ueli 

Edited by Ueli Schaepper

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Of course ..... it's just strange that they have two different ways of making a notification.

Victor Viana
Posted
Posted

Hello guys, 

Is There a plan to take vPilot inside sim environment? I mean, while in VR i can't check vPilot or vatsim map easily to check for ATC Availability, if I could take vpilot or even a simple window with the most important info (ATC and messages) it would be great.

secondly:

will this be addressed?

On 5/4/2022 at 5:15 PM, Ross Carlson said:

Of course ..... it's just strange that they have two different ways of making a notification.

Thanks for all your great software being done here in vatsim.

• Like 1

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I don't have any plans to make a version of vPilot that runs inside the sim. It's an external application, so there may be ways to bring vPilot into VR by using a third party tool that does that.

For your second question, I don't currently plan to spend any time modifying vPilot specifically for MSFS VR needs, but it may happen at some point, can't say for sure.

Bill Padley
Posted
Posted (edited)

Is it not possible to do what we have for XPlane (Xpilot) which works perfectly in VR with joystick assignable windows for controllers, messages etc?

Bill P 

Edited by Bill Padley

• 2 weeks later...
Bill Padley
Posted
Posted

I guess thats a no then ! ...a real shame...more and more are using VR, and this pretty much makes it almost impossible to use vatsim while flying Vr without repeatedly taking goggles off and on... 
Isnt there a way to make it selectable from the toolbar like SO many other apps that work perfectly in FS2020 VR? 

• Like 1

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Bill Padley said:

Isnt there a way to make it selectable from the toolbar like SO many other apps that work perfectly in FS2020 VR? 

I can't say because I haven't spent any time researching how to make VR-compatible apps for MSFS. Can you give me an example of a third-party external app (one that runs as a separate process, like vPilot does) that is accessible from the toolbar like you describe?

Bill Padley
Posted
Posted

HI Ross.. I hadn't really made the distinction of them running separately to be fair.,.. I was referring to things like Navigraph ..and having thought about that and many  others they all run as items in the community folder in FS2020

I had assumed it may be a similar process to xpilot where it DOES run outside and via a plugin, inside in VR ....but I can see that fs2020 may require it to be coded to NOT run outside as a seperate app.. ...

would be great if there was some way to achieve it... ! 

all the best 

Bill P

Bill Padley
Posted
Posted (edited)

The FS2020 app SKY4SIMPAD may be worth a look as an example .that runs an external server app  to which the app in FS2020 connects....(just remembered that one ) 

Bill P

Edited by Bill Padley

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Bill Padley said:

The FS2020 app SKY4SIMPAD may be worth a look as an example .that runs an external server app  to which the app in FS2020 connects....(just remembered that one ) 

Bill P

But the thing that users see is still running "inside" MSFS, not externally, right?

Bill Padley
Posted
Posted

Yes , thats correct...I have the Xpilot model  in my head  where the thing internally is linked to the thing externally and viewed by a simple plugin in VR ... 

Im sure its not that simple, but it works great in X Plane 🙂

all the best 

Bill Padley 

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Bill Padley said:

Yes , thats correct...I have the Xpilot model  in my head  where the thing internally is linked to the thing externally and viewed by a simple plugin in VR ... 

Im sure its not that simple, but it works great in X Plane 🙂

The same could be done with MSFS ... there could be an add-on running inside MSFS that communicates with an external app like vPilot. It's just not something that I would write. If someone wanted to write it, I could maybe provide "hooks" in vPilot to communicate with the add-on.

Bill Padley
Posted
Posted

Thanks Ross... fingers crossed that someone can step up and liase with you on this..there are SO many of these types of community addons on flightsim.to I'm  surprised nobody has tackled it already 

Appreciate your answers 

all the best ! 

Bill P

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

Same here, fingers crossed over here as well. Would be awesome having access to vPilot inside MSFS via the toolbar!

Richard Åsberg

John Pool
Posted
Posted

I also would like to throw in my support for something like enabling something like the xPilot experience in VR for MSFS. I am not kidding when I say I would personally PayPal anyone who can come up with this (or even a rudimentary version of it) much more than I paid for MSFS. 

I am an almost daily VR / VATSIM user on the x-plane platform. The ability to have a native VR window that shows:

• ATC in the area (like the vPilot client does)
  • The ability to click on a frequency in the (VR enabled) window and have that frequency put into the active COM1 frequency.
  • Notifications/messages (like when ATC pings you that you have entered their airspace). And an info button that you can click to get info on the freq. or, if it the ATIS, the ATIS information in the notifications/message window

In the past few weeks, I purchased MSFS and the 3080 Ti required to run it the way I like it in VR. It is simply amazing. But it is impossible to fly on VATSIM in VR without the ability to see and interact with vPilot in VR. 

I am not a developer, so I don't have the ability to build this. But I would gladly contribute cash to anyone who can re-create the xPilot experience with vPilot for MSFS in VR.

Thanks!

Craig Farrell
Posted
Posted

I'd be willing to work on something for this.  The toolbar/window in MSFS isn't too difficult.. as far as I know it's just some xml that defines the toolbar image and points to some html.    However, I'd need a way to communicate with vPilot to send/receive the data/commands.  I'm not sure that is available at the moment.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

There is a basic plugin system available for vPilot, so you could write a plugin (which would be written in .NET) that would communicate with your toolbar app through a socket or some other IPC mechanism.

Craig Farrell
Posted
Posted

That sounds great!  I'm a c# guy, so even better.  I'll take a look for some documentation.