You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Using text as well as voice.

dale shaw

dale shaw
Posted
Posted

Hi, I'm new to vatsim but have been flying simulators for years. I've been considering joining for a while but have been put off by the fact I'm hard of hearing but I've recently noticed there's a text option as well. Can I ask what the etiquette for using this is? I would like to send messages via voice but receive messages by voice and text to make sure I've got it correct. Is this possible? I get this would mean extra work for the controllers so I understand if the rules are all voice or all text, would just like to know before I step in.

Thanks in advance, Dale

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted

There are three modes available when communicating on the network, and you would declare the mode you want to use into your flight plan's REMARKS section:

/v means you will use voice for both receive and transmit;

/r means that you will use voice to receive and text to transmit;

/t means that you will use text to both send and receive.

For your specific requirements, ie. receive text and voice, and send voice, it might be best to use /v and if you receive something via voice which you don't understand (and that is really not unusual, so don't sweat it!) ask for the instruction or whatever in text. If you have real difficulty with voice reception, use /t instead, and speak your responses when you want to.

• Like 1

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.