You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Modern aircraft performance data for scenarios

Harry Sugden

Harry Sugden
Posted
Posted

Hi all,

I'm currently creating various new scenario files, but the inbuilt aircraft performance data doesn't cover many of the newer aircraft types. Before I spend hours playing to see what works, I don't suppose anyone has any data for the likes of:

• A20N
  • A21N
  • A359
  • A388
  • BCS1
  • BCS3
  • B38M
  • B39M
  • B77W
  • B788
  • B789
  • E190

Thank you!

ATC Examiner, VATSIM UK

No nonsense controlling Twitch - HazControl ✈️

@HVatsim

Torben Andersen
Posted
Posted

Maybe I'm asking a silly question, but how important is precise performance data for a scenario file? Most modern airlines have similar performance, if you group them a bit. The planes in the B737NG/A320 family aren't that different, when looking at cruise speed and common descent/ascent rate, the heavier airliners fly somewhat faster, but again in the same range. The speed is more a question on costs, hence the use of different cost index at various operators.

Torben Andersen, VACC-SCA Controller (C1)

Erik Wachters
Posted
Posted

It would be great if we could have all of the aircraft performances in a dataset file in EuroScope in stead of hard coded. I've already asked that but I don't got an answer back.

E.

Harry Sugden
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Tobias Dammers said:

Do you need the data in a specific format? Or would something like https://contentzone.eurocontrol.int/aircraftperformance/default.aspx? give you the information you need?

Ooo I suppose that could work! Do you think the ROC/RODs they show are a 'typical'? I notice that the EuroScope ESE format uses a maximum climb/descent rate, so perhaps I should just add a 1000ft per min to the rates on that website.

4 hours ago, Erik Wachters said:

It would be great if we could have all of the aircraft performances in a dataset file in EuroScope in stead of hard coded. I've already asked that but I don't got an answer back.

E.

Yes, because then I would be more than happy to copy a jet's performance for another jet, or a prop for another prop! I think Craig Philip's Aircraft Situation Editor had some data built in back in the day, but I don't have a copy of it saved anywhere...

On 3/28/2022 at 8:19 AM, Torben Andersen said:

Maybe I'm asking a silly question, but how important is precise performance data for a scenario file? Most modern airlines have similar performance, if you group them a bit. The planes in the B737NG/A320 family aren't that different, when looking at cruise speed and common descent/ascent rate, the heavier airliners fly somewhat faster, but again in the same range. The speed is more a question on costs, hence the use of different cost index at various operators.

True... but the point is, when you put in an AT76, BCS2, B789 and A20N in a file and they all climb at the same rate... it's quite hard to teach controllers about 'appreciating aircraft performance' in the Terminal environment!

ATC Examiner, VATSIM UK

No nonsense controlling Twitch - HazControl ✈️

@HVatsim

Tobias Dammers
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Harry Sugden said:

Do you think the ROC/RODs they show are a 'typical'? I notice that the EuroScope ESE format uses a maximum climb/descent rate, so perhaps I should just add a 1000ft per min to the rates on that website.

I'm not sure, but if I had to guess, I would say they're indeed typical rather than maximal. At least that would make sense for a site like this, where the goal is to give a general impression of aircraft performance, rather than absolute limits.

23.png