You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

ATIS

Herbert Kleinsorge

Herbert Kleinsorge
Posted
Posted

Hello, today i joined a session and logged in to EDDL. The ATIS was:
DUSSELDORF AIRPORT ATIS INFO BRAVO MET REPORT TIME ONE ONE TWO ZERO. EXPECT ILS APPROACH RUNWAY 05R RUNWAYS IN USE 05R NOTICES TO AIRMEN. ATTENTION DEPARTURE FREQUENCY FOR ALL DEPARTING AIRCRAFT IS LANGEN RADAR ON 135650. SURFACE WIND VARIABLE AT NINER KNOTS. TEMPERATURE PLUS ONE SIX. DEWPOINT PLUS TWO. DUSSELDORF AIRPORT INFORMATION BRAVO OUT.

This ATIS is difficult to read without numbers. Is this a NOTAM or an ATIS? I told the controller that the QNH is missing in the ATIS. No response and no change during the next 15 minutes.

Regards Herbert

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted

It is very difficult to read due to the lack of abbreviations, and numbers. It's also very limited in customisation, it is very USA eccentric. If you use FSLABS A320 with ACARS and request the ATIS you end up with a lot of pages.

The addition of a departure frequency is irrelevant, because the controller should be telling you who and what frequency to change too when they hand you off, the VATSIM ATIS policy is very loosely enforced.

I've seen this in one, which is pretty much the ATIS reiterating that the pilot follow instructions issued by ATC and published on the charts, which is not the purpose of an ATIS.

ALL TRAFFICS MUST INSERT
INSTRUCTED P-RNAV TRANSITION WITH STAR SELECTION. ALL TRAFFICS
MUST APPLY WITH ALL ALTITUDE AND SPEED CONSTRAINTS ON DEPARTURE
AND ARRIVAL PROCEDURES UNLESS TOLD BY ATC.

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member

Lars Bergmann
Posted
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Kirk Christie said:

It is very difficult to read due to the lack of abbreviations, and numbers. It's also very limited in customisation, it is very USA eccentric. If you use FSLABS A320 with ACARS and request the ATIS you end up with a lot of pages.

The addition of a departure frequency is irrelevant, because the controller should be telling you who and what frequency to change too when they hand you off, the VATSIM ATIS policy is very loosely enforced.

I've seen this in one, which is pretty much the ATIS reiterating that the pilot follow instructions issued by ATC and published on the charts, which is not the purpose of an ATIS.

I agree with your statement that having the numbers spelled out makes it harder to read. I disagree, however, that the addition of the departure frequency is irrelevant. At EDDL the pilot is to contact the departure controller by themself once they pass 2000 ft. No contact XXX on YYY occurs. The charted frequency for pilots to switch to, however, is 121.355. As we are not allowed to XC all IRL frequencies (forbidden in the same document you referred to) we add the departure frequency to the ATIS so that pilots know which frequency to switch to. (The charted frequency also uses 8.33 kHz channel spacing, so even if we were allowed to XC it we couldn't.)

As for the issue itself: Germany has, for a long time, been using ES + uniatis to put up ATISes. Since ES doesn't (yet?) support running multiple ATISes, the controller in question here was trying out vATIS - as you can see with mixed results. We are working on better profiles 🙂

Edited by Lars Bergmann
  • Thanks 1