You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Controlled airspace - how to know

Stein Carlsen

Stein Carlsen
Posted
Posted

Hello all,

Maybe a stupid question, but ...

When flying over a relatively unknown place (land), how do you know if you are in a controlled airspace? 

Flew over Italy and Germany the other day and constantly saw that there were CTR controllers nearby. But I do not quite understand how I can know if I am in their area or not. This is easier to know when flying in your home country and being familiar.

Anyone can give advice here?

Regards

Alex Noble
Posted
Posted

In Europe, you'll nearly always get a contact me message when entering a sector airborne.

This comes up a lot, and generally leads to an never ending argument about who is responsible for contacting who. I'm not getting into the whole COC pettifoggery, but the de facto procedure in most of Europe is to just wait to recieve a contact me message.

You can use maps to check which controllers cover what, but these sectors are very complex - Italy isn't that bad, because there isn't as much traffic, so the sectors are larger, but Germany's are rather complex, and also depend on which other controllers are online. Some maps are better than others - vatspy has problems displaying sector splits sometimes, but some of the newer maps will give you some idea.

I belive the latest thread of this is at Complete lack of understanding of the euro sectors has really put me off. Can anyone offer any encouragement?

• Thanks 1

Alex 1527896 EGTK

Stein Carlsen
Posted
Posted
45 minutes ago, Alex Noble said:

.....in most of Europe is to just wait to recieve a contact me message.

Thanks. Its at least a lot easier for me...

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Alex Noble said:

COC pettifoggery

I trust that you are not suggesting the the CoC is a fandangle, and that your comment isn't intended as a contumely reference. It may appear that the document is somewhat crinkum-crankum, but I know you to not be a rapscallion and that you believe the document to be more palatable than a kickshaw! :)

• Haha 4

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

I haven't spent this much time in a dictionary since 7th grade!  Love it!

• Like 3

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

I feel like I got the gist of it from context  😉 

• Like 1

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png