You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Any way to get a list of aircraft around you?

Richard Asberg

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

In the same way you get a list of nearby controllers, would it somehow be possible to also have a list of nearby aircraft with their callsigns?

Sometimes especially when you're sitting at a gate for example and have other aircraft around you, it would be nice to have a list shown in vPilot what those other aircraft are. I haven't done that much flying online in MSFS yet and maybe there's a way to switch on labels for the other aircraft I haven't discovered yet.

Main reason for my question is when you have an aircraft next to you which isn't modeled correctly. Then it would be nice to see what the callsign and aircraft type is. Which could explain why the correct model wasn't matched.

Richard Åsberg

Mats Edvin Aaro
Posted
Posted

Type .aircraft in vPilot. 🙂

• Like 1

Mats Edvin Aarø
Assistant to the Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM General Manager: Member Engagement
[email protected]

VATSIM logo new

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

Brilliant, will give that a try 👍

Richard Åsberg

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

I actually recall this now that I see it. Must have used it sometime in the past 🙂

A couple of follow-up questions on this .aircraft window.

Really nice when you see the model matching. However, looking at the screenshot below, I don't understand where the Air Berlin aircraft came from since it's not seen on the list of aircraft? At the same time, I could only spot one Eurowings aircraft. So it looks like one of the Eurowings aircraft on the list was modeled as an Air Berlin. Even when they both look OK on the list. Any idea how that could happen?

Secondly, what do the Ignore and Delete buttons do, when would you likely use those?

vPilot Aircraft.jpg

Richard Åsberg

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted (edited)

No idea why it would show as Air Berlin, except I do recall there being a bug in MSFS where it would load a previously-loaded texture instead of the one you specified, if the model was the same as a previous aircraft. In other words, if you tell it to draw a B744 in Delta texture, and then later you tell it to draw a B744 in United texture, it would show another Delta, because that was the last texture loaded for the B744 model. I don't know if that bug was ever fixed.

The Ignore button ignores that aircraft so that you don't see it. People use this feature to hide aircraft when they're using a third-party group flight software like JoinFS, but also connected to VATSIM for ATC.

The Delete button deletes the aircraft and allows it to be recreated, as though the pilot had logged off and then back on. This is helpful for troubleshooting model matching.

Edited by Ross Carlson

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

Many thanks Ross for the info and explanation.

Richard Åsberg

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Ross Carlson said:

People use this feature to hide aircraft when they're using a third-party group flight software like JoinFS, but also connected to VATSIM for ATC.

Some also use it to invisible-ize stream trolls buzzing livestreamers during their flights.  😉

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png