You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

STAR constraints...

Venkatesh Nagarajan

Venkatesh Nagarajan
Posted
Posted

hello all

I am new here and have a question. I made a flight plan on simbrief. KSAN -> KSJC. The flight plan shows SILCN5 to be the STAR and 30L to be the runway. I realize that ATC can change my arrival STAR and the runway. Just for a minute assume ATC does not. From the navigraph chart there are a bunch of speed and/or altitude constraints on this star. In addition to that the navigraph chart for 30L (ILS) also tells me that I need to be at 4000 feet at KLIDE and be heading 306. 

My question is - If I am on full ATC from KSAN ground to KSJC Approach, will ATC guide me step by step through these constraints or they will just say follow the STAR and then the approach plate for 30L or a mix of the two. At what point will they ask me to either ignore the constraints or change from my pre designed path. 

Thanks in advance. 

silcn5star.png

KSJC30L.png

Matthew Sweeney
Posted
Posted

Hello.  This is a great question. If you review the “notes” section on the STAR chart (upper right-hand box) you will see notes 1-7. Note #7 answers both of your questions. 

As you approach the beginning of the STAR, Oakland Center will advise you to “Descend via the SILCN5 Arrival.” This direction means you should fly the STAR and descend/change speed as indicated on the STAR as you fly along it. Additionally, from note #7, Oakland Center will provide you either “North” or “South” transition. Once you know the transition, follow the directions as indicated on the STAR chart. Lastly, note #7 informs you that Northern California TRACON will provide runway assignment. The runway they assign you could be completely different from the one you filed due to myriad reasons.

Hope his helps.

Venkatesh Nagarajan
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, Matthew Sweeney said:

Hello.  This is a great question. If you review the “notes” section on the STAR chart (upper right-hand box) you will see notes 1-7. Note #7 answers both of your questions. 

As you approach the beginning of the STAR, Oakland Center will advise you to “Descend via the SILCN5 Arrival.” This direction means you should fly the STAR and descend/change speed as indicated on the STAR as you fly along it. Additionally, from note #7, Oakland Center will provide you either “North” or “South” transition. Once you know the transition, follow the directions as indicated on the STAR chart. Lastly, note #7 informs you that Northern California TRACON will provide runway assignment. The runway they assign you could be completely different from the one you filed due to myriad reasons.

Hope his helps.

Certainly helps. Thanks. Will pay attention to small letters in charts. 

• 3 weeks later...
John McMurdo
Posted
Posted
On 5/22/2022 at 3:53 AM, Matthew Sweeney said:

meh,  I never bother will the small print :classic_wink:

• Confused 1

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, John McMurdo said:

meh,  I never bother will the small print :classic_wink:

That's how they get'cha  😉

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

John McMurdo