You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

SOP Question

Lee Friedman

Lee Friedman
Posted
Posted

First question:

In the "real" world, I am used to addressing different controllers by their mission/freq (eg. Clearance Delivery, Ground, Tower, etc). I fully understand how impractical that is in VATSim. But when I see only Center as being manned when I need to get my clearance, do I still address them as Center or as Clearance Delivery? I've seen one post by another member suggesting that controllers are always addressed by their assignments and not by the other roles they are covering in a top-down situation. But when I tried to verify that through an official channel, the FAQ link was broken. My solution has been to address them only by sector name ("Boston, United 515 IFR Newark, ready to copy clearance"). I understand that perhaps it seems nitpicky, but if there is an SOP on communication etiquette, I want to be precise.

Bonus question (worth 10 points 🙃):

What does it mean when just ATIS is manned? ATIS is something I can always tune into, manned or unmanned - so I fail to see how someone can fill in as an "ATIS" controller or what that means to me as a pilot arriving or departing that venue.

Thanks for any clarification on these questions.

Alex Noble
Posted
Posted

For the first question, you would in general, address them as their assigned callsign, not the top down one. There are some circumstances where a single controller would have multiple frequencies though, and in that case you'd use the name of the frequency - this is only permitted in a few circumstances though so isn't that common.

On the second, there aren't really any cases where just an ATIS would be online by itself - however, as the process of connecting as a controller and then connecting an ATIS are done separately, you can sometimes see one without the other for short periods as controllers log on and off, especially as the maps don't update very frequently. It could also be the new trial of multiple ATISs - controllers can now have up to 4 ATISs running at once, so this might be what you saw – there’s no longer one atis per controller as used to be the case.

Alex 1527896 EGTK

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

To clarify:

1) yes, call them by their position, even if asking for a service down the chain from their level.  Yes, it feels weird to ask Approach or Center for taxi instructions but you get used to it.  Though if you call them "Ground" or "Tower" there's really no harm in it.

2) An ATIS shouldn't ever be there "by itself" -- a controller who is handling that airport top-down should be on.  While you might feel the entirety of ATIS should just be automatic to duplicate the real-world, the reality is that the operational flow direction is a decision that MUST be in the hands of the controller running that airport.  VATSIM peak traffic periods and flow direction does not always mimic real-world peak traffic periods and flow direction.  VATSIM controllers must always be able to choose the airport configuration which works best for THEIR traffic situation.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Benjamin Koula
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Lee Friedman said:

What does it mean when just ATIS is manned? ATIS is something I can always tune into, manned or unmanned - so I fail to see how someone can fill in as an "ATIS" controller or what that means to me as a pilot arriving or departing that venue.

vATIS is a program used by controllers to simulate an actual atis and allows them to make and manage ATIS stations. Any time you see an ATIS up and running, it means that a controller is online, so there is no such thing as an unmanned or autonomous ATIS.

Lee Friedman
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Benjamin Koula said:

vATIS is a program used by controllers to simulate an actual atis and allows them to make and manage ATIS stations. Any time you see an ATIS up and running, it means that a controller is online, so there is no such thing as an unmanned or autonomous ATIS.

I suppose I wonder why simulate the actual ATIS when I seem to be able to tune in automated ATIS whether a stationed is manned or not.

Martijn Rammeloo
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Lee Friedman said:

I suppose I wonder why simulate the actual ATIS when I seem to be able to tune in automated ATIS whether a stationed is manned or not.

Perhaps I misunderstand you, but on VATSIM there is no such thing as an unmanned ATIS. Someone must put it online. However, this could be someone controlling a CTR position, giving you the impression that the airport is unmanned.

If there is a VATSIM ATIS available, please use it, instead of its real-life counterpart. Crucial information, like active runways, might be different, for many - valid - reasons.

• Like 1

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

To reiterate:

VATSIM peak traffic periods and flow direction does not always mimic real-world peak traffic periods and flow direction.  VATSIM controllers must always be able to choose the airport configuration which works best for THEIR traffic situation.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png