You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Some Controllers Are Harsh!

Dean White

Dean White
Posted
Posted

I understand the rules etc, but when several controllers can see that you're trying and willing to learn then you have that one controller that literally says "if you don't comply like a real pilot (professional level), then I will have a supervisor remove you from the network", that is not how you bring more players to the community. Again, I understand the levels of practice, but how can you practice unless you have a go at it first? there needs to be a fin lines between simulation/real life. I was enjoying myself up until I came across this controller, they also didn't want to talk via chat which actually you're allowed to do so I don't understand what the big issue is? If this isn't allowed then I will delete VATSIM as it's not fun when you're being brought down by someone that you potentially look up to. 🤔 

Also just to clarify, I was following guides and and following fine until I was heading for decent then this happened.

• Sad 1

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Just leave feedback on the website of the vACC, FIR, or ARTCC where it occurred.  Complaining about it here only further compounds the negativity you experienced.

• Like 4

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Benjamin Koula
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, Dean White said:

Again, I understand the levels of practice, but how can you practice unless you have a go at it first? 🤔 

Practice offline or listen in observer mode, it allows you to listen to the vatsim network but not interact with it.

Andrew Crowley
Posted
Posted (edited)

These experiences are a rarity and I wouldn't let them get to you... but yes, you do occasionally encounter someone who's a bit too proud of that shiny new C1 / C2 rating on a make-believe ATC network ;).  I've winced a few times, hearing these types "communicate" with other network pilots.  The passive-aggressive side of me sometimes takes a bit of enjoyment in pointing out these controllers' errors, if I've heard them come down too hard on another pilot... as, strangely, it seems that these types of controllers are more prone than average to errors.   🤔

Maybe that's mean, but c'mon... make me listen to you being an unprofessional jerk to someone else, and then blow me through the Loc or vector me into an RA?  We're gonna have a little fun.  Consider it in the name of realism or immersion, because that's exactly how it would work in reality.   😁

Edited by Andrew Crowley
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Liesel Downes
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Dean White said:

they also didn't want to talk via chat which actually you're allowed to do so I don't understand what the big issue is

Do you mean using the frequency text for text only or voice receive, or do you mean private messages (.msg/.chat)? Controllers are required to treat /t and /r pilots with the same attention as voice ones within reason. However they're not required and many dont have the time to respond to pilot private messages. If you need something your best bet is the frequency text.

Also, if you experience a controller saying what you quoted in your post then you have the facility feedback route as Robert mentioned or you can call a supervisor with the .wallop command (e.g. .wallop controller being rude to me on frequency) if you believe it's a CoC A1 violation. Controllers can lose patience and ask people to disconnect if they cannot control their aircraft within the requirements of the code of conduct. Obviously, telling a pilot to disconnect because they asked for vectors is out of line.

Liesel Downes
she/her/hers

Matisse VanWezer
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, Liesel Downes said:

Controllers can lose patience and ask people to disconnect if they cannot control their aircraft within the requirements of the code of conduct. Obviously, telling a pilot to disconnect because they asked for vectors is out of line.

Iirc, as a controller you cannot tell a pilot to disconnect, even if they don't comply with the CoC. You are ought to call a supervisor who will assess and handle the situation.

Streaming Brussels Control since 2018 on MatisseRAdar - Twitch to create time lapses on YouTube and TikTok

Magnus Meese
Posted
Posted
On 5/31/2022 at 8:33 AM, Matisse VanWezer said:

Iirc, as a controller you cannot tell a pilot to disconnect, even if they don't comply with the CoC. You are ought to call a supervisor who will assess and handle the situation.

I'd say you can suggest it in a friendly manner (e.g. "Welcome to VATSIM, I suggest you log off and familiarize yourself with the basics of VATSIM and flying your plane before flying online. Check out https://my.vatsim.net/learn as well. Welcome back!")but obviously you can't decide for them.

Anyway, pay no mind to barking controllers, real life or VATSIM. Frustration can get to anyone, sure, but the ones who have made a habit of it should really find something else to do.

• Like 2

Daniel Mckee
Posted
Posted

Just an idea, try not to select ATC at busy airports for your training. Have a look on line and you will be able to see any ATC with a light load. Also in the Flight Plan remarks it helps to advise what status you are i.e. newbie or similar words.

• Like 1

Liesel Downes
Posted
Posted
On 5/31/2022 at 5:03 PM, Matisse VanWezer said:

You're right but it's still something people will say when they've lost patience and the catch 22 of calling a supervisor taking up even more workload is in play.

Liesel Downes
she/her/hers

• 3 weeks later...
Mike Monk
Posted
Posted

Wasn't it the case, once upon a time, that VATSIM controllers were happy to help newbies?

Indeed I have said to some that fear their first connection that this is so.

Should I now modify my advise?

• Confused 1

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted (edited)

When sectors are extremely busy, ATC will have little to no time to deal with newbies, that's just a fact. Why should 25 experienced pilots on that frequency suffer from delayed/degraded ATC services, when a newbie should rather operate at a less busy airport/airspace, until he feels more comfortable with all the new stuff?

So, the advice would be: do not connect at large airports in the local evening. Chances are high that ATC will be busy and will have no time to help out. VATSIM is not what it used to be, in terms of number of aircraft movements.

Edited by Andreas Fuchs
typing error
  • Like 2

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Mike Monk said:

Wasn't it the case, once upon a time, that VATSIM controllers were happy to help newbies?

Indeed I have said to some that fear their first connection that this is so.

Should I now modify my advise?

Reread the original post, Mike.

> "when several controllers can see that you're trying and willing to learn then you have that one controller" (emphasis added)

Let's keep things in perspective.

• Like 2

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png