You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Error when launching VPilot for the first time

Phillip Turner

Phillip Turner
Posted
Posted

image.png.5d0350ab2d5b15acd76cef8f8f7cf000.png

Here's the error. I'm running as admin, the folder has full permission and I've allowed the app through the firewall and I can't get around this. I've installed on my F drive because I don't want ancillary apps on the same drive as my OS. I feel like that shouldn't be an issue. Any troubleshooting around this?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

When you run it as admin, do you get prompted to enter credentials?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Phillip Turner
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Ross Carlson said:

When you run it as admin, do you get prompted to enter credentials?

Negative, it just displays the error right away.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Does it still error if you don't run as admin?

Phillip Turner
Posted
Posted
53 minutes ago, Ross Carlson said:

Does it still error if you don't run as admin?

Yes it does.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm afraid I'm stumped. Something is preventing vPilot from creating the "vPilot Files" folder in your documents folder. (Or preventing it from accessing that folder, if it already exists.)

Edit: does the folder already exist? If so, try deleting it.

Edited by Ross Carlson

Phillip Turner
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Ross Carlson said:

I'm afraid I'm stumped. Something is preventing vPilot from creating the "vPilot Files" folder in your documents folder. (Or preventing it from accessing that folder, if it already exists.)

Edit: does the folder already exist? If so, try deleting it.

There is no folder labeled "Vpilot files". I looked in the C drive under documents and there isn't anything there. I'm not sure why the program is looking in the C drive when the installation path is to the F drive. Here's what my full VPilot file looks like in F Drive.

image.thumb.png.f74489b37e0ae35c52b9a4d0735cdeed.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

The app installs to the F: drive, but vPilot still makes a folder under your main Documents folder for storing things like debug logs and to provide a common place to store VMR files. (Though you can put VMR files anywhere.) When vPilot starts up, it tries to create this folder if it doesn't already exist, and that's what is failing. Perhaps you could try manually creating the folder yourself.

Phillip Turner
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Ross Carlson said:

The app installs to the F: drive, but vPilot still makes a folder under your main Documents folder for storing things like debug logs and to provide a common place to store VMR files. (Though you can put VMR files anywhere.) When vPilot starts up, it tries to create this folder if it doesn't already exist, and that's what is failing. Perhaps you could try manually creating the folder yourself.

Ok, that fixed it. Literally just created a "vPilot Files" folder  in the :C/users/(username)/documents path and it started up finally. Looks like for whatever reason the installer wasn't placing that folder. Thanks for the help!

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

The installer doesn't create it, vPilot does, when it starts. For some reason, your system was preventing vPilot from creating it. Maybe some strange permissions issue.