You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

contact controller

Gerard De Backer

Gerard De Backer
Posted
Posted

I want to make my first VATSIM IFR-flight, from airport A to airport B. In and around destination airport B there is a full staff of controllers (e.g. because there is an "event"). On start airport A and air space around there are none. Where to I contact ATC for clearance and flight following? O do I just fly according to my flight plan until I'm in reach of my destination (center, arrival, tower) and then request flight following? 

Filippo Genoni
Posted
Posted

Hi,

First of all, welcome to VATSIM! 

Yes, if there are no controllers online at your airport, you simply state your intentions on unicom (122.800) like pushback, taxi and takeoff. When you will enter a controller's airspace you can contact him and he will give you instructions on what to do. 

Hope this helps,

FILIPPO GENONI

S2 - Morocco vACC (VATMENA)

Mats Edvin Aaro
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gerard De Backer said:

I want to make my first VATSIM IFR-flight, from airport A to airport B. In and around destination airport B there is a full staff of controllers (e.g. because there is an "event"). On start airport A and air space around there are none. Where to I contact ATC for clearance and flight following? O do I just fly according to my flight plan until I'm in reach of my destination (center, arrival, tower) and then request flight following? 

Welcome to VATSIM!

Adding to what’s said above, I’d highly discourage you from doing your first flight during an event. Full staffing means lots of traffic, and less opportunity to help beginners get familiar with the network. I’d rather choose a slightly less crowded place, and work my way from there! 🙂

• Thanks 2

Mats Edvin Aarø
Assistant to the Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM General Manager: Member Engagement
[email protected]

VATSIM logo new