You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Send Only Vatsim Option

Mohamed Osama

Mohamed Osama
Posted
Posted

Hello Everyone,

i am so happy to be here,

this is my second day in Vatsim , i am really enjoying the experience,

there is one thing i would like to share as a suggestion, since i didnt find a place to post it but here,

there are 3 options in Send/Receive in the flight plan,

so i wanted to add since i am a shy Arabian guy , who i am not used to talk english alot, i can totally understand english quiet well,

my only problem is that i am having a hard time to collect everything that is being said to me from the atc , even when i try to write it down , there is always something missing , and that diffently annoys the controllers,

i so thought if there was an option for Sending Only , just like there is Receiving Only in the Flight Plan section , i will be able to talk better , and also will be able to read correctly every message that is send to me in the vPilot,

thank you all

Matisse VanWezer
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Mohamed Osama said:

my only problem is that i am having a hard time to collect everything that is being said to me from the atc , even when i try to write it down , there is always something missing , and that diffently annoys the controllers,

• Try observing on the network / watch YouTube videos and try to follow along
  • Fly in less busy areas, controllers will be able to assist you better
  •  Don't be scared to ask the controller to repeat himself or slow down
  • Come prepared. Before asking clearance ask yourself what clearance/route (sid/star/taxi/init clb/rwy) you'll likely get, or which ones are available.
Edited by Matisse VanWezer

Streaming Brussels Control since 2018 on MatisseRAdar - Twitch to create time lapses on YouTube and TikTok

Magnus Meese
Posted
Posted

The reason send only is not an option, is that if you do not have the capacity to listen and understand the radio (or worse, don't have audio out at all), you'd likely just be blocking other transmissions or between an instruction and a readback.

The radio seems scary at first, but just jump in after following the advice above, after a couple flights it won't be scary anymore!

• Like 1

Daniel Mckee
Posted
Posted

It is also quite acceptable to ask the ATC to send the instructions via text and then you can read back accurately.

Matisse VanWezer
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Daniel Mckee said:

It is also quite acceptable to ask the ATC to send the instructions via text and then you can read back accurately.

That should never the default. We're busy enough, text messages take time. Even with alias, (that don't work always either). 

Also, it's extra time consuming. When the controller sends the text messages he has to wait for the pilot to see it and reply before he can give another instruction. If it's remotely busy you'll likely also get blocked because other pilots think the frequency is clear.

Streaming Brussels Control since 2018 on MatisseRAdar - Twitch to create time lapses on YouTube and TikTok

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
On 6/24/2022 at 9:37 AM, Matisse VanWezer said:

When the controller sends the text messages he has to wait for the pilot to see it and reply before he can give another instruction.

Not necessarily.  But being able to roll on with voice instructions, while glancing at the text chat box for a readback and then resuming that interaction, does take practice -- I'll give you that.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Robert Shearman Jr said:

Not necessarily.  But being able to roll on with voice instructions, while glancing at the text chat box for a readback and then resuming that interaction, does take practice -- I'll give you that.

I could be misinterpreting, but I think Matisse was referring to when the pilot reads back via voice, considering the thread topic.

Edited by Ross Carlson
  • Like 1

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Ross Carlson said:

I could be misinterpreting, but I think Matisse was referring to when the pilot reads back via voice, considering the thread topic.

D'ohh.  Yeah, that makes more sense.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Daniel Mckee
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 6/24/2022 at 11:37 PM, Matisse VanWezer said:

That should never the default. We're busy enough, text messages take time. Even with alias, (that don't work always either). 

Also, it's extra time consuming. When the controller sends the text messages he has to wait for the pilot to see it and reply before he can give another instruction. If it's remotely busy you'll likely also get blocked because other pilots think the frequency is clear.

I did not say it was default just an alternative that is acceptable (maybe not to you but show me in the rules where it is not an option?) where appropriate. If ATC has too much work on then of course common sense would apply. The pilot in this situation if appropriate can request text but does not have to text back; the pilot would read back by voice and as suggested by others best to stear clear of ATC that is very busy when training, there are plenty of ATC with only light duties. There are quite a few pilots that for whatever reason have hearing issues and their situation must be considered as they have as much right to enjoy the hobby as everyone else.

Edited by Daniel Mckee

Torben Andersen
Posted
Posted

Text should be the exception, not an equally transmitting option. For people without disabillities voice should be the norm. I'm glad than VATSIM is able to include people with disabillities by offering the text alternative, but for the majority of pilots transmitting should be as in RL - voice (CPDLC, PDC and similar is a different matter). But it takes time to getting used to the lingo - when I fly in the US, I frequently makes mistakes because of the differences (well, I also make mistakes in Europe😎) - but you only get better by trying. So getting trained on hearing, what the atc asks you to do, is all part of the game. Having options like send only only prolonges the agony.

• Like 1

Torben Andersen, VACC-SCA Controller (C1)

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Daniel Mckee said:

I did not say it was default

Actually you did. The thread is called "send only."

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Daniel Mckee
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, Alistair Thomson said:

Actually you did. The thread is called "send only."

The thread is actually titled "Send Only Vatsim Option" and I have re-read my comment and cannot find where I have written :default".  I think you are assuming more than what was written my friend.

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Daniel Mckee said:

cannot find where I have written :default

If there were to be a "send only" option as you requested, then send-only would be the default for that option! Thus you are requesting that as a default in that mode. 🙂

• Haha 1

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.