You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Menu settings in MSFS for vPilot to work without problems with internal AI/ATC

Keith Bowler

Keith Bowler
Posted
Posted (edited)

Although there is a lot of content on how to get a VATSIM account, and get online, etc there does not seem to be any detailed explanation about what settings are required in MSFS for successful connection and operation.     I am thinking specifically about what menu settings are required in General Options, and Assistance, so that the internal AI and AI ATC do not conflict with VATSIM ATC..  There are a number of settings which refer to Traffic, and ATC.  What should be switched off, and what should be left on, so that VATSIM works.   Also what settings are recommended on the "Flight Conditions" page of the Flight Planner (World Map) in MSFS when starting a VATSIM flight.      I have seen a number of forum posts in various places asking for help in switching off AI ATC since this can interfere with certain aspects of the operation of aircraft (radio frequencies for example), but I have yet to get a convincing explanation of what needs to be set up for success.

Edited by Keith Bowler

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted

I can't help with MSFS operations, but you need to disable automatic ATC, automatic ATIS and multiplayer within your sim. How that is done in MSFS will be found in the sim's docs.

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

You've pretty much summed it up, though.  Multiplayer traffic should be set to "group only" with no one in your group, and AI traffic should be set to "off."  These ensure the only traffic you see around you is VATSIM traffic that controllers are also seeing.  AI assistance on the radios should be off.

As for the environment, it's recommended to use real-world weather, or at the very least, wind conditions similar to those that the majority of others are seeing.  But it's not required, nor does anyone care whether you have daylight or nighttime or sunset or what-have-you.

What you do with the planning map is up to you, other than ensuring you spawn on a ramp and not on a taxiway or runway.  Personally I set the starting location only, and use the navigation instruments in the plane itself to get myself from A to B.  Use the sim's planning features, or don't -- what matters is that you can fly the route you've filed, and that you're flexible enough to accept adjustments to and/or vectors from said route as needed to sequence and space with other traffic.

• Like 1

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Keith Bowler
Posted
Posted

Thanks for you help.  I am familiar with the VATSIM environment having flown with FSX and P3D.  However, the new menu items with MSFS seemed to be a bit more challenging to set up correctly.  I'll take on board the advice and hope everything goes smoothly.

Regards 

Keith