You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Changing voice during the flight?

• voice
  • atc
  • atc training

Niklas Clasen

Niklas Clasen
Posted
Posted

Hello there! 🙂
I'm pretty new to the VATSIM Network but I learned a lot since I got here.
For now I only fly via "text only". I'm listening to others ( ATC and Pilots ) and I try to understand what the pilot needs to do at that moment or I just try to guess the next callout of the ATC.

So heres my problem: I'm still not sure if I'm ready for the Voice -> Send + Receive option and I was wondering if I can switch between texting and voice during my flight and if so, how do I let others know what I want to use at the moment
( I'm not sure if I can just re-file my flight plan )
I already  made myself a "checklist" of the "stations" your're going through the entire flight, what the ATC may say to me and how do I repeat or readback. 

I already want to thank everyone who can help me! 🙂 

( I attached a screenshot I took, maya you like it 🙂 )

Microsoft Flight Simulator Screenshot 2022.07.22 - 19.57.23.48.png

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Niklas Clasen said:

I'm still not sure if I'm ready for the Voice -> Send + Receive option and I was wondering if I can switch between texting and voice during my flight and if so, how do I let others know what I want to use at the moment

Here is the part of the Code of Conduct which seems to answer your question. I have highlighted the relevant part:

• A14 Voice is the preferred method of communication on VATSIM. Account holders should use voice if able to do so but must accommodate the use of text. Only unaltered speech is permitted to be transmitted.

So you should decide (for yourself) whether or not you can use voice, and if you can, you must 🙂 (edit - should). Switching back and forth isn't allowed recommended.

Edited by Alistair Thomson

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Matisse VanWezer
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Niklas Clasen said:

I was wondering if I can switch between texting and voice during my flight and if so, how do I let others know what I want to use at the moment

I've seen countless pilots who filed as text yet talk on voice as well as the other way around. If you are coming from text and want to use voice while already checked in with a controller, simply tell them you will use voice from now on. If not, and you check in via voice, I assume you will fly with voice until otherwise notified.

Edited by Matisse VanWezer

Streaming Brussels Control since 2018 on MatisseRAdar - Twitch to create time lapses on YouTube and TikTok

Posted
Posted

Don't see an issue at all if you need to change - ATC have the ability to change that remark in the FP. Call up the controller via either method, if it's on text, you may advise them that you are /t or /r at this time.

• Like 1

C1-rated controller

Niklas Clasen
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the quick infomation everyone 🙂