You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Clarification question on new CoC B5

Joshua McCreary

Joshua McCreary
Posted
Posted

Hello,

I am looking for clarification on an updated rule in the Code of Conduct. It states the following in section B5:

"Pilots flying through uncontrolled airspace shall monitor VHF radio frequency 122.800 or other designated "UNICOM" frequency until they come under air traffic control coverage. Where another pilot may benefit, a pilot shall transmit their intentions on the designated unicom frequency."

Does this mean that when flying into/out of an airport with a published UNICOM/CTAF (depending on where you are), we are allowed to use that frequency when in uncontrolled airspace/not talking to ATC, or do we still have to use only 122.800 for uncontrolled airspace? Thanks.

Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Joshua McCreary said:

Hello,

I am looking for clarification on an updated rule in the Code of Conduct. It states the following in section B5:

"Pilots flying through uncontrolled airspace shall monitor VHF radio frequency 122.800 or other designated "UNICOM" frequency until they come under air traffic control coverage. Where another pilot may benefit, a pilot shall transmit their intentions on the designated unicom frequency."

Does this mean that when flying into/out of an airport with a published UNICOM/CTAF (depending on where you are), we are allowed to use that frequency when in uncontrolled airspace/not talking to ATC, or do we still have to use only 122.800 for uncontrolled airspace? Thanks.

Those frequencies aren't in use - afaik, the CoC section overrides the standard uncontrolled CTAF frequencies and all aircraft within uncontrolled airspace - including at untowered airports should use 122.80 as the UNICOM frequency.

C1-rated controller

Joshua McCreary
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, 1341101 said:

Those frequencies aren't in use - afaik, the CoC section overrides the standard uncontrolled CTAF frequencies and all aircraft within uncontrolled airspace - including at untowered airports should use 122.80 as the UNICOM frequency.

Gotcha. I was hoping for that change, but guess not ☹️. Thanks for the clarification.

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted (edited)

It's because some countries had a different unicom frequency, other than 122.80 as that frequency was an operational ATC frequency in that area, I am not sure if that is still the case now, but South Africa and Brazil wernt using 122.8 for Unicom, that line covers situations like that.

It also allows a division to designate a different unicom frequency should they need to with out having to change the code of conduct.

Edited by Kirk Christie
  • Like 1

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member