You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Hearing my own voice in the headset

Ken Fenton 995086

Ken Fenton 995086
Posted
Posted

Hi Everyone

When I'm talking to ATC with the headset (logitech)they can hear me with no problem, and I can hear them good.

The problem comes in when I'm on unicom. When I'm announcing my position and intentions, I hear every word I say in the headset. Like an echo. It's very distracting. I cringe when I have to use the unicom frequency. I use the Swift pilot client. Any idea why this happens?

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Make sure you don't have the same frequency set active on your second radio! In swift you can also switch off RX2 for your other radio too avoid hearing yourself talk on the same frequency.

• Thanks 1

Ken Fenton 995086
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the reply, Andreas

You were right I had my secondary radio on the unicom freq also. Once I switched it to a different active freq. the echo stopped. I thought com2 was inactive because I didn't have the com2 switches on. 

Thanks again for your help 

• Like 1

Tim Waldon
Posted
Posted

Hello @Ken Fenton 995086,

You probably didn't realize it, but you just learned how to test your headset/radio if you ever suspect that they're not working. Listen for that echo on com2, another tool in your flight bag!

• Like 1

Ken Fenton 995086
Posted
Posted

Good point, Thanks

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted
On 8/13/2022 at 7:02 PM, Ken Fenton 995086 said:

I thought com2 was inactive because I didn't have the com2 switches on. 

Just like in a real aircraft, both COM-radios are accessible and can be listened to at the same time. In swiftGUI you can verify this on the AUDIO page: https://docs.swift-project.org/doku.php?id=swiftgui_audio

fetch.php?media=manual_swiftgui_audio_de

Depending on the simulator platform and addon aircraft used, if a green checkmark is set at "sync.", swiftGUI will use the MIC(TX)/RECEIVE(RX) settings from COM1 and COM2 that you control directly in the cockpit of your aircraft.