You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

New to Vatsim, need some advice! (vPilot)

Yassin Abdelhamid

Yassin Abdelhamid
Posted
Posted

Hey there!

This is my first time on the forums and on vatsim!

I always wanted to be able to have to talk to real ATC in MSFS2020, but I always had a few problems:

1- I don't have a specific amount of free time, which is why my flights always range from 30-60 minutes. This main problem is that in that time, I might have an emergency where I would just pause the simulator and then come back when I could. This would just ruin the environment for other pilots flying, as well as air traffic controllers.

2- I'm not sure how to use observer mode; I do not know what a shared cockpit means? I always prefer flying by myself!

Another question about observer mode: can I just perform my normal flights in observer mode without disrupting ATC or other pilots?

I would really appreciate some advice from everyone! (I also apologize if those questions were asked before, it's my first time!)

Thanks,

Yassin.

Matisse VanWezer
Posted
Posted

Hi

1. You can always disconnect. Don't pause when connected to VATSIM, unless you have a controller's permission. (COC B2). When you return from your emergency, check using observer mode or tools like VATSPY, if your reconnect will disrupt other traffic (same level/destination/...). (COC B1)

2. Observer mode is where you can watch and listen to other people on the network, without them being able to see/hear you. (I think you can enable that by clicking a box somewhere in vPilot but don't quote me on that one). Shared cockpit is a program that allows you and a friend to navigate one plane, together. If you like flying by yourself, this is not for you. People flying with shared cockpit on VATSIM are an exception, not the norm, but everyone may do it.

-. Yes, but only do that for educational/familiarization purposes. If you don't want to talk to anyone, fly offline.  (COC A9)

• Like 1

Streaming Brussels Control since 2018 on MatisseRAdar - Twitch to create time lapses on YouTube and TikTok

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

To be clear: where Matisse has refereenced "COC" he is referring to the VATSIM Code of Conduct.  Hopefully, you've read it.  If not, here it is: https://vatsim.net/docs/policy/code-of-conduct

• Like 1

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Yassin Abdelhamid
Posted
Posted

I made sure that I read all of it. Thank you very much.