You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Wake turbulence simulated?

Edward Berkley

Edward Berkley
Posted
Posted

Hi all,

Just wondering if wake turbulence is simulated on vatsim? I've seen wake turbulence simulated in msfs and was wondering if it was also applied on vatsim?

Thanks.

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted

I don't think that the VATSIM system is involved. If it exists, it's almost certain to be a function of the pilot client having awareness of proximate aircraft and throwing turbulence additional to weather where appropriate. However, ATC will certainly issue separation advice, eg "caution: wake vortex, recommended spacing etc etc" particularly aimed at light aircraft approaching finals.

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Alistair Thomson said:

it's almost certain to be a function of the pilot client having awareness of proximate aircraft and throwing turbulence additional to weather where appropriate

vPilot does not do this, and AFAIK the other clients don't either, but I'm not sure about them. The only software I know of that creates simulated wake turbulence is active sky. If MSFS simulates it, then it's a question of whether or not it simulates it being generated by aircraft that are created by pilot clients like vPilot, or only for aircraft that the sim generates itself.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Not sure which program does it, but wake turbulence is simulated using P3Dv4 combined with ActiveSky.  

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Mike Teague
Posted
Posted

yeah p3d with active sky definitely does.. was once messing around with ai traffic and got almost rolled over following too close behind a 747

Joshua McCreary
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have yet to get wake turbulence in X-Plane. I've tried the applicable ASXP settings to do but no joy. Any ideas? I have noticed a few times flying tight formation with a friend we'd randomly get a left roll (pretty violently/suddently, almost made me wonder if controls were buggering up but no they weren't) no matter who was in lead/fingertip position. Within 1 wingspan we'd get it, and within 3-5 fuselage lengths from behind at random locations we'd get it (moreso me in the case). Flying small GA J3 cubs during this.

Edited by Joshua McCreary

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Why do you think that's not wake turbulence?  Sure sounds like it to me!

Don Desfosse

Joshua McCreary
Posted
Posted

Must be. I just find it weird I get wake from that, but I have never had any from airliners or anything else outside of very tight formation. And sometimes if I'm on the right wing, lead will get an uncommanded left roll.

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Ah, I didn't get that the first time I read it...  LEAD getting the roll shouldn't happen.... 🙂  Trailing getting a roll sounds just like wake turbulence.   Reminds me of a time flying a Citabria behind a Citabria.  Worst wake turbulence encounter I ever had.....  Until getting too close to a C141..... 🙂  

• Like 1

Don Desfosse

Joshua McCreary
Posted
Posted

Yeah that's the part I'm confused on haha. Might be a de-sync related issue. Only happens within 1-2 wingspans of lead.

Worst wake encounter so far in my first few years of flying was in a citabria.... A state police Bell 206 was doing auto practice and we were about a minute and a half to 2 minutes behind it. that'll send you headsmacking into the side of the plane before you knew what happened for sure 🤣