You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Information isn't shown correctly [VAT-Spy]

• vat-spy
  • bug

Alex Trojankowski

Alex Trojankowski
Posted
Posted

Hello,

I tried reinstalling completely the app, removing the files from its Appdata's folder, and can't make this work correctly.

image.png.500ed35b69ec408a8a506d7b0ea394ce.pngimage.png.b56b5755407aafa6458908368f020b7f.png

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

There is some "xml"-file somewhere that saves all the settings of Vatspy, try renaming or removing it and then restart Vatspy. Fingers crossed this will work.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

VAT-Spy determines the size of the box to draw behind the text by calling a Windows function that returns the size of the text in pixels. It looks like that function is somehow returning zero for the width of the text. Maybe try using a different font.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Alex Trojankowski
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Andreas Fuchs said:

There is some "xml"-file somewhere that saves all the settings of Vatspy, try renaming or removing it and then restart Vatspy. Fingers crossed this will work.

This one? I already tried with this one, didn't work 😕

image.thumb.png.1b04fb1313fe8d3ca0e9b70ebe8f353f.png

Alex Trojankowski
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Ross Carlson said:

VAT-Spy determines the size of the box to draw behind the text by calling a Windows function that returns the size of the text in pixels. It looks like that function is somehow returning zero for the width of the text. Maybe try using a different font.

I changed the font, the size, everything, and doesn't work 😕 

I mean, the font and size changes, but there's the same problem

image.png.ceed501ad8794ccc2611662b72fc6521.png

Tobias Gövert
Posted
Posted (edited)

I am having the same issue and afaik, it's related to the AMD display driver. With version 22.7.1, they made changes to openGL, which seems to have broken VatSpy on AMD GPU's. Most likely, there is an update of VatSpy necessary, which I am hoping for as well 😕

Edited by Tobias Gövert

C1-Controller

Leading Mentor RG Düsseldorf - VATSIM Germany

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Tobias Gövert said:

Most likely, there is an update of VatSpy necessary, which I am hoping for as well

I don't know how I'd be able to fix a bug in AMD display drivers with a VAT-Spy update.

Besides, that looks like a problem with basic Windows font functions (measuring the size of a string of text in a given font) and not an OpenGL problem. Hard to say for sure, though.

Tobias Gövert
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Ross Carlson said:

I don't know how I'd be able to fix a bug in AMD display drivers with a VAT-Spy update.

I don't think it is a bug inside the driver, it's just that with 22.7.1 and newer, AMD made changes to openGL handling, which vatSpy doesn't like, it seems. But of course I can't tell that for sure.

What I can tell for sure, is that the problem 100% reproduceable occured after installing this or newer drivers.

https://www.geeks3d.com/20220804/amd-radeon-adrenalin-22-7-1-opengl-changes-tested/

C1-Controller

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Tobias Gövert said:

I don't think it is a bug inside the driver

What do you think it is, then?

Tobias Gövert
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Ross Carlson said:

What do you think it is, then?

I don't know, as I have no insight in how vatSpy works. But since I have no problems with other applications who use openGL, it certainly makes me think, that it's vatSpy. Maybe it is relying on one of those 60 extensions which they have removed 🤷‍♂️

Maybe vatSpy needs to be adjusted to a newer openGL version. I am by no means an expert though - just throwing up some possibilities 😄

In Adrenalin 22.7.1, more or less 60 OpenGL extensions have been removed:
– Adrenalin 22.7.1: 273 extensions (GL=253 and WGL=20)
– Adrenalin 22.6.1: 331 extensions (GL=306 and WGL=25)

Usually, OpenGL extensions are properly sorted in alphabetical order, but in v22.7.1, it’s a mess! Many GL_AMD extensions have been removed as well as some extensions like GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc or GL_ARB_spirv_extensions to quote few ones.

C1-Controller

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted (edited)

VAT-Spy uses very basic bare-bones OpenGL, so I doubt it uses any of the extensions they've removed. And as I said before, the problem doesn't appear to have anything to do with OpenGL ... it looks like the Windows functions that "measure" a string of text are returning a length of zero, because VAT-Spy isn't drawing the box with any width ... it just has the padding. I don't know the internals of how the string measuring functions are implemented. I'm guessing that the video driver handles that as well, since you said the problem is definitely linked to an update in the driver.

This is the function that VAT-Spy uses to measure text for the purposes of drawing the box:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/system.drawing.graphics.measurestring

Anything about that mentioned in the driver info you quoted from above?

Edited by Ross Carlson

Tobias Gövert
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, Ross Carlson said:

Anything about that mentioned in the driver info you quoted from above?

Unfortunately there's nothing mentioned in the official changelogs.

It's a super weird, but also super annoying bug, as you can hardly read anything... 😄 hopefully we can find the issue, either way.

C1-Controller

• 1 month later...
Thomas Bell
Posted
Posted

I have downloaded VatSpy  on my windows laptop and although not directly connected to above problem  is similar.

The popup box opens in as a  oblong which would appear properly sized for any information.

Unfortunately the popups other than the default background colour of white do not have information.

Have been looking for option in settings etc without success.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tom

• 2 months later...
Aaron Saji
Posted
Posted

I have the same problem occurred after installing AMD graphics driver update. Don't know how to fox this. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling but still the problem persists.