You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Can we make an exception for custom weather?

Ken Doyen

Ken Doyen
Posted
Posted

On Monday night, a buddy & I flew choppers at 2000 feet AGL in the Fair Weather Flying event in ZMP with winds 18G30.  That's extremely difficult in choppers, especially smaller ones.  I crash landed twice, but, we toughed it out with real weather.  I understand the issue controllers have with using custom weather with high altitude flying for spacing but would it be noticeable if doing low altitude VFR chopper flying?  Wind can dictate whether or not we fly choppers online, 10 kts or higher make chopper flying miserable, if not impossible.  We don't hover around airports like the trolls do, we follow the published procedures.  Can we make an exception? 

• Like 1

Malcolm Fernandez
Posted
Posted

You must at least have the same wind,temp,and pressure........Per the Code of the conduct

B13: Pilots are encouraged to utilize current real- world weather at all times. Pilots must utilize at least the following current, real-world weather parameters throughout all phases of flight: (a) Winds, (b) Pressure, (c) Temperature

• Like 1

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Malcolm Fernandez said:

You must at least have the same wind,temp,and pressure........Per the Code of the conduct

I think Ken is aware of that, hence the request for an exception.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Malcolm Fernandez
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Ross Carlson said:

I think Ken is aware of that, hence the request for an exception.

Oops,

Sorry ross,i'll edit my post to add some more..

Trevor Hannant
Posted
Posted

From my perspective, I don't see an issue with this at low level.  What I'd perhaps suggest is putting custom weather on with the winds from the same general direction but within your limits so at least you'll have a similar drift effect plus handling for takeoffs/landings.

I can't imagine other controllers having an issue with it where it's not having the same effect on traffic management as, as you say, en route.

• Like 2

Trevor Hannant

Ken Doyen
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Trevor Hannant said:

From my perspective, I don't see an issue with this at low level.  What I'd perhaps suggest is putting custom weather on with the winds from the same general direction but within your limits so at least you'll have a similar drift effect plus handling for takeoffs/landings.

I can't imagine other controllers having an issue with it where it's not having the same effect on traffic management as, as you say, en route.

Choppers we usually land on the ramp, not runway.

Thimo Koolen
Posted
Posted

Low level is very annoying within the TMA if traffic is on different winds. Especially if it's a busy event and spacing on final is close to minimum. Then you don't want wind differences, especially if there's hefty winds outside.

spacer.png

ACCNL4 (Training Director) - Dutch VACC

Trevor Hannant
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Ken Doyen said:

Choppers we usually land on the ramp, not runway.

Will depend on the airport I guess, in the UK a large number, particularly aerodromes rather than airfields. require arrival/departure from the active.  

Trevor Hannant

Ken Doyen
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Thimo Koolen said:

Low level is very annoying within the TMA if traffic is on different winds. Especially if it's a busy event and spacing on final is close to minimum. Then you don't want wind differences, especially if there's hefty winds outside.

Even if we're looking to land on the ramp & not enter the pattern?  I should specify we would be in US airspace.  I'm not familiar with European procedures.