You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

How to differentiate between wheels and/or floats when aircraft type is the same?

Daniel Mckee

Daniel Mckee
Posted
Posted

I wish to do some float plane flights with my group i.e. using de Havilland Canada Twotter with floats. If I use DHC6 I would "present" myself to others as a wheeled version so how do I present as a floats version please?

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

You don't.  The ICAO is the same.  The only "presentation" of your difference is that you can land and takeoff from water.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

At some point in the future all pilot clients may be able to differentiate between those specific categories. So far, only one offers this functionality.

• Thanks 1

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Oh, I think I misunderstood -- you were talking about how do you present to others in terms of how you are viewed by other pilots.  I was thinking about what it looks like to ATC.  Apologies for the misalignment.

• Thanks 1

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Daniel Mckee
Posted
Posted

I think I have answered the question. On Wednesday night vatpac flight we all used float planes and lo and behold, that is what I saw (except for a catalina for which I have not created a vmr file). I made up my own .vmr files for all the float planes currently available on MSFS2020 and they have worked. So, I believe that not only does vPilot "transmit" the ICAO i.e. C172 but also the title of the livery as shown in the aircraft.cfg file. Because the title derives from the float plane that is what vPilot portrays. That's my theory as to why the vmr files worked anyway.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

vPilot doesn't transmit the model that you're using. It just sends the aircraft type that you choose when you connect. If you made a VMR file that matches C172 to a float plane, then that's what you're going to see for ANY C172 (not just those with floats) when you fly online with that VMR file loaded.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Daniel Mckee
Posted
Posted

Because I have more than one .vmr file for C172 including wheels, floats and skis  "loaded" at the same time and others saw me as a float plane the system must have generated a "floats" at random?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Daniel Mckee said:

Because I have more than one .vmr file for C172 including wheels, floats and skis  "loaded" at the same time and others saw me as a float plane the system must have generated a "floats" at random?

If you have more than one VMR file loaded, it'll use the one that's highest priority. When finding a match, it'll go through your VMR files in order of priority and stop when the first match is found. So if you have multiple VMR files with a C172 rule in them, the rule from the highest-priority VMR will match and the C172 rules in the other VMR files will never take effect.

• Thanks 1

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC