You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Charts for the U.K.

Michael Tepe 990870

Michael Tepe 990870
Posted
Posted

Hi mates,

Sorry to bother you but where do I get charts for U.K. airports?

I just registered at 'National Air Traffic Services' (http://www.ais.org.uk) but I didn't find any charts there...

Where should I check next?

Thanks for any help!

Michael

Michael Tepe 990870
Posted
Posted

Cool... I found them. Thanks for reading, but this file is closed.

See you there!

Michael

Paul O'Donnell 969350
Posted
Posted

Hi Michael, nice to hear you found them, you can bookmark this link, then once you log in it will take you to a page showing all the airports.

click here

Regards,

Paul O'Donnell

SINvACC - INS/CTR+

www.sinvacc.net

Michael Tepe 990870
Posted
Posted

Hi Paul,

Yeah, I have added my collection of bookmarks for my flight preparations. With U.K. charts on board you can expect me soon in british skies. I'm really looking forward to flying there.

Thanks for your help and all the best

Michael

Martyn Cox 1000768
Posted
Posted

Hey,

I'm pretty new to the VATSIM experience, and i'm having trouble finding the charts mentioned above! Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction on the website?

Thanks alot!

Martyn

Ruth McTighe 824054
Posted
Posted

Horrible navigation on the AIS website, isn't it?! The direct link to the charts page is http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/html/aipad2.htm

Ruth

Ruth McTighe

Heathrow Director, Essex Radar, Thames Radar, London Information

[Mod - Happy Thoughts]t webmistress CIX VFR Club http://www.cixvfrclub.org.uk/

Webmistress Plan-G http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/

Now not a VATanything

Lee Hetherington 822071
Posted
Posted

For easier navigation of the UK charts, try http://chartfinder.vatsim.net. You still have to register in order to view the PDFs that remain on the UK servers.

Lee Hetherington (KBED) - PP ASEL

logo.gif

• 1 month later...
Gordon Pownall 911597
Posted
Posted

...and a gentle reminder to all pilots that these charts and information pages are FREE OF CHARGE so there really is no excuse for typing No Charts in your flight plans...

This is going to be even more vital if you are planning on flying into or out of any major airfield in the UK, particularly the London TMA area (Gatwick, Heathrow, Stansted etc) as this is a very busy area of airspace and as such, controllers may not have the capacity to give detailed information regarding SID's or STAR's...

Perhaps the biggest misdemeanour is on departure - all the information is there for the reading - so please do fly accurately and stick to the limits you are given - 4000ft means no higher - speed of 250 knots or less is given for a reason...!

Having said all that, the UK offers some interesting challenges to new and experienced pilots alike - come and fly UK and enjoy our hospitality (but perhaps not at Heathrow in a Cessna 172 on your very first flight eh... )

Gordon...

Richard Green 810012
Posted
Posted

Well said Gordon...

It boggles the mind why someone would...

Take the time to install FSX/FS9/Xplane

Install the client to connect

Install a plane

Load up all the required info

...and yet skip the 10 minutes it takes to review charts and procedures...

Its not for lack of information, so I can only [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume its laziness.

Richard Green

VATSIM Supervisor

SB Testing & Support Team

VRC Testing & Support Team

Gordon Pownall 911597
Posted
Posted

Indeed Richard,

For me the greatest part of online flying is the PLANNING...

It offers it's own challenges - best route, which ATC to contact, VOR freq's etc etc...

If we are honest, once airborne and in the cruise it's sooo easy to flick on the AP switch and sit there watching clouds - flight planning is without a doubt, THE MOST IMPORTANT PART of any flight online, VFR or IFR, domestic or international...

Get it wrong before putting the key in the ignition and things can tend to get no better from then onwards...

I wonder how many pilots check basics like STAR routes and if I'm asked to hold will I know how and where...?

I wonder how many pilots actually check who they should be speaking to when ATC is online...in complex airspace it's not always easy BUT the information is there if you PLAN the flight and RESEARCH before lighting the fires..

For example LON_NW_CTR is the position of London Control - it covers the London TMA area up to FL245 and yet I get so many pilots calling me from as far away as Scotland and over the Irish Sea or coming down from Norway asking for a service....a simple check is all that's needed...

So flight planning is just that, planning your flight and all the potential scenarios that you may experience between startup and shut down...

Do try it - it is great fun to thoroughly plan your flight from start to finish and include things like fuel calculations, frequency changes manually on NAV instruments rather than wheels up and autopilot on...

Gordon...

VATUKF4

Military Operations Director

VATSIM-UK

Michael Tepe 990870
Posted
Posted

Hi Gordon and Richard,

I agree in two ways:

a) It is a must to have charts on board! We all are trying to simulate flying, so why being unrealistic and flying without charts and preparation. I for myself start with route planing, fuel and weight calculation and then in a dark and cold cockpit going through the complete checklist. Takes some time, but I really like it.

b) It is a great experience to fly to London. I was in Heathrow some days ago and it was a professional and friendly service! I definitely will come back!

Regards,

Michael

• 2 weeks later...
Johan De Muynck 1002847
Posted
Posted

Very interesting to read all this and I couldn't agree more; we should have charts on board !

Question though : the link to the airport charts is ok, but what about enroute charts ?

I've been looking for hours now, can't seem to find them (free charts that is).

Johan.

• 4 months later...
Dominic Russell 866138
Posted
Posted

I never fly with enroute charts (for uk) unless for most other areas in europe the charts are free and available on the internet but unfortunately i have never found any uk enroute charts the only place i know how to get them is with www.navigraph.com but they charge a small fee.

Dom

19.png

Gareth Williams 840232
Posted
Posted

Enroute Information for the UK is available from AIS as well

http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/html/aipenr.htm

if you scroll down that page you will find links for both the upper and lower route charts amongst all the other information.

Regards,

Gareth