You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Question about "Default Aircraft Type (ICAO)" in X-Plane Settings of X-Pilot

• x-pilot
  • x-plane

Christian Harraeus

Christian Harraeus
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi all,

does this setting affect the rendering of my aircraft for the other pilots or does it affect the rendering of the other pilot's planes for my installation?

Or in other words: If I set this to "C208" and fly a Kodiak. Do the other pilots see me as C208  if they don't have CSL model of a Kodiak?

Best regards, Christian

Edited by Christian Harraeus

• Christian Harraeus changed the title to Question about "Default Aircraft Type (ICAO)" in X-Plane Settings of X-Pilot
Daniel Mckee
Posted
Posted (edited)

In xPilot you will always see your own aircraft as the aircraft you have selected in the sim so the short answer is no, it has no effect on your own aircraft. If you fly a Kodiak but input ICAO/Type C208 other pilots will see you as a C208 but only if they have a CSL for it. Same applies to a Kodiak if you enter K100 (or KODI ??).   I am not sure what they will see if they do not have a CSL to match the ICAO you enter.

Edited by Daniel Mckee

Tim Waldon
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hello @Christian Harraeus,

Default Aircraft Type ICAO: This is the fallback aircraft ICAO type designator that is used if no appropriate CSL model can be found for another person's aircraft. Their aircraft will be rendered as this ICAO aircraft type instead of not being rendered at all. Basically, the setting helps your xPilot client with rendering another person's aircraft if their type is not found.

Let's say for example you you are connected to VATSIM at an airport with two other aircraft parked nearby. The other aircraft are a B737 and A320. If your CSL model match finds a match for the A320, that aircraft will be displayed correctly. If your CSL model match can not find a match for the other B737 aircraft, it will display that other aircraft as the model you have set in the "Default Aircraft Type ICAO". So, if you have the ICAO set to C172, that B737 on your screen will be rendered as a Cessna 172.

You can not control how other people see your aircraft. That is handled by the client they have installed and configured.

Edited by Tim Waldon
Changed sentence grammar.