You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VMR for MSFS still required

Matthias Froemmel

Matthias Froemmel
Posted
Posted

Hello,

I was wondering if .vmr files are still required since vpilot now scans the aircraft database. I have disabled (deleted) all vmr files and still got traffic looking about right. Are there any advantages of keeping vmr files? 

Greetings,

Mike

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

VMR files are only required if you want to customize model matching. For example, the automatic model matching won't make use of the flight number, like you can with VMR rules.

Also, the automatic model matching only uses models that are "identified". (Those that have a valid ICAO type code and airline code in the aircraft.cfg file.) The vast majority of the AIG models are identified, so most of them will be used.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Matthias Froemmel
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the super quick reply. Just a short follow-up: for those models that are not identified, it will fallback to the model that I have selected on the main model matching page, here:
image.png.2973e370a030b8f48e2e810ec7f6a7a3.png

right?

Thanks again, Mike

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Matthias Froemmel said:

Thanks for the super quick reply. Just a short follow-up: for those models that are not identified, it will fallback to the model that I have selected on the main model matching page, here:
image.png.2973e370a030b8f48e2e810ec7f6a7a3.png

right?

Thanks again, Mike

If a model is not identified, it just won't be used for model matching. The default model is shown if no model match can be made (either from identified models or from VMR rules.)

Matthias Froemmel
Posted
Posted

Ok, so I understand vpilot will first use the identified models, if it doesn't find a match, it will use .vmr files in the order they appear in the settings. If no match is found there either, it will revert to the standard model? So there is no harm in keeping vmr files, but no benefit either as long as I am fine with falling back to the standard model if no match is found in the identified aircraft.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

No, VMR files are used first. The documentation has full details.