You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Difference in Navaid databases between VATSIM and X-plane?

Bo Boivie 908365

Bo Boivie 908365
Posted
Posted

As I understand it X-plane uses DAFIF data for Navaids. I don't know what VATSIM is based on (same as MS Flight simulator?), but the data does not always match.

For example there are SIDs used in VATSIM that refer to Fixes that are not defined in the X-plane world. How do you cope with that? Is there any tool or other way to bring in the missing Fixes as an add-on to X-plane? (It's no big deal to merge the data into fix.dat manually.)

I noticed the missing differences when I used Goodway version 3 where you can select to use VATSIM SID/STARS as an option.

Thanks,

-Bo

Joerg Stenger 813658
Posted
Posted

Hi Bo,

as far as I know, "VATSIM" bases SIDs/STARs on what they are in real life (not DAFIF, which is incomplete and sometimes plain wrong).

The different vFIRs/vARTCCs of VATSIM take a lot of effort to publish procedures as they are used in RL.

For Users of MSFS, there is a great guy, Richard Stefan, who does provide current AIRACs for the different FMCs/FMSs that payware and freeware Software use. So if a SID/STAR is changed or Fixes/VORs/NDBs are changed, he incorporates it.

So, I don't know anything about the X-Plane Navaids DB, but I guess, just using plain DAFIF data (maybe even not updated DAFIF data) won't help much.

Best regards,

Jörg

--

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

968.png

Bo Boivie 908365
Posted
Posted

Thanks Jörg,

X-plane uses a "compiled" version of the DAFIF data which is updated regularly. I agree that it is not complete, but users submit updates which are incorporated into the data being published.

For MSFS I suppose you refer to http://www.navdata.at/ ? But this data only goes into FMCs/FMSs? There is no update to the MSFS navaid database itself? (I'm primarily thinking of Fixes.)

-Bo

Martin Georg 811874
Posted
Posted
There is no update to the MSFS navaid database itself? (I'm primarily thinking of Fixes.)

That´s correct. While it´s technically possible (the MSFS navdataase is compiled in BGLs) nobody has done it so far, unfortunately. Only lately I seen a very few files appearing at AVSIM that at least implement some new procedures for some US airports.

best regards,

Martin Georg

3500.png

Bo Boivie 908365
Posted
Posted

I've done some more digging into this. It turns out that the data I thought was VATSIM data was in fact IVAO data. For my "home" airpot, ESSA, the IVAO data is very old. The data you use in the VATSIM world is as you said the real stuff. My conclusion is that X-plane DAFIF based and "user updated" data is quite close to VATSIM data. At least more so than IVAO...

regards,

-Bo

Javier Larroulet
Posted
Posted

By the way, the AIRACs supplied by NavData are based on the DAFIF data.

I believe most ATC's will have their sectorfiles based on DAFIF data as well (at least here in Chile we do)

Javier Larroulet (C3) - Chile vACC

18.png