You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

For VFR in light aircraft do I need more than vPilot and LittleNavMap?

Randy Petty

Randy Petty
Posted
Posted
I've been using Little Nav Map but it seems that for SimBrief to be current, you need a paid Navigraph subscription. And the cheaper one doesn't seem to include charts.   Unless required I'd rather plan flights from airport to airport, VFR, no instrument approaches, no way points or alternates.  Initially in a C172 but since I own the PMDG 737, possibly flying that eventually.

Sebastian Crane
Posted
Posted

I like to use SkyVector for flight planning - it has both VFR and IFR charts of varying quality around the world. Note that it's primarily intended for real-world pilots, so if you choose to make an account, be careful that you don't file a real flight plan 🙂

If you're flying in the United States, you can download all the official VFR charts ('sectionals') straight from the FAA's website. Each download covers the area of a few states, and is usually about 200MB in size. VFR charts for other countries are a lot harder to come by - if you want to see what I mean, go to the US-Canadian border in SkyVector's VFR mode, and observe how suddenly the level of detail drops! VFR charts for the UK are only available from specific publishers as far as I can tell, and they are quite pricey.

Try ChartFox for taxiway diagrams for specific airports - it has ICAO taxiway diagrams for what appears to be every British airport, and old Jeppesen charts for Canadian airports which can be a bit 'hit or miss'.

• Thanks 1

Randy Petty
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the feedback.  It looks like you can create flight plans in skyvector ( making sure not to file it with FAA), Little Nav Map and I suppose somewhere in the Vatsim web pages. Or from vpilot?   Little Nav Map can export flight plans in a wide variety of formats. It's only a question of which formats work for VATSIM on MSFS 2020

image.thumb.png.f3d2de6dffa8e1d630db32ec9165afd5.png