You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

New Vatsim user (IFR pilot)

David Broscow

David Broscow
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi there, 

Just three questions. 

1) When I bind a key (e.g. z) to my Contact ATC (PTT) button on my joystick, I am noticing that the only way that I can transmit is through pressing the z button on my keyboard. Is this normal, or should I be able to push the corresponding PTT button on my joystick as well?

2) In running XP12, I see that the ATIS for KSNA (Santa Ana, John Wayne) is 126.0. When I dial it up, I hear nothing on either COM1 or COM2. Is this normal, or is there something else that I can/should do. Two potential solutions, use the D-ATIS that I find on ForeFlight or utilize custom weather (which I'm assuming I can file in my flight plan, yes)?

3) If there is no ground clearance available through Vatsim at John Wayne, and there is a SoCal frequency, should I call up SoCal to get my clearance before contacting them afterwards as ground prior to entering a movement area. Similarly, use SoCal as ground before moving short of the active runway that I'm assigned? I have used PilotEdge in the past, and normally all frequencies work, so I'm just trying to make sure that I'm getting my appropriate approvals before moving. Thank you very much!

David Broscow

Edited by David Broscow

Tim Waldon
Posted
Posted

Hello David,

A1) It sounds like you might be binding the Z keyboard key instead of the desired joystick button. Double check what is currently assigned to the Z keyboard key, as well as the the buttons on your joystick. It's more than likely a mis-assignment issue. You absolutely should be able to assign just a button on your joystick to activate the PTT feature.

A2) Your connection client, SimAware and VATSpy will show what frequency is currently assigned by ATC. I often fly in the SoCal region and I haven't had any issues with KSNA when it's staffed. It may have just been a temporary issue at the time you flew. If you didn't have any other COM issues (ATIS at a nearby airport, controllers, etc), then it's possible that ATIS wasn't set up correctly or you used the wrong frequency. Always use the frequencies displayed in your client or shown on the websites. They could potentially be different than real-world flying publications.

A3) Yes, you would first contact SoCal to get your IFR/VFR clearance. After they give you your clearance, they will advise you to contact them again when you're ready to taxi. They are the ground and tower controllers as well. Keep in mind that SoCal controllers mostly send text messages to your client to issue your initial clearance and squawk code before you even contact them. So after you connect to VATSIM, keep an eye out for your text clearance. Then contact them when ready to taxi, or as instructed.

David Broscow
Posted
Posted

Hey Tim, 

First a HUGE thanks for helping me out. I was able to sort out all 3 issues with yours and a couple of others help. 

1) For X-Pilot, I had for some strange reason not clicked the apply button to bind the key to my PTT on my Joystick. Now it works - very happy.

2) I did try SimAware and it is super helpful. Also, inside of X-Pilot, I was able to double click on the ATIS frequency, and it brought up the current ATIS, without even having to go to SimAware. So that was a bonus.

3) Thanks so much on this answer. Incredibly helpful!

Hoping I can return the favor to someone else at some point. And thanks again for answering my questions,

David

• Like 1

Tim Waldon
Posted
Posted

You're very welcome, I'm glad the information helped you out!