You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Tablet choice for charts

Michael Garrett

Michael Garrett
Posted
Posted

What do you guys use for charts while simming? Anybody use tablets? Non iPad though. I don't use apple stuff. 

Trying to find an inexpensive solution to my mess of charts I used to utilize. 

Christoph Reule
Posted
Posted

I personally use an Android tablet.

If you're on X-Plane you could also try plugins like AviTab or eBag.

• Like 3

Tim Waldon
Posted
Posted

I have a cheap Samsung Galaxy tablet that I previously used to display my downloaded pdf charts. I've tried both the tablet and also just a web browser to display charts, and I've recently leaned towards the simple browser solution on my second monitor. My reasoning is because the tablet was another tool that I had to maintain and keep synced, while a browser accomplished what I was looking for with less fuss.

Alternatively, Christoph mentioned a couple good X-Plane plugin solutions that are available and worth trying.

• Like 1

Michael Garrett
Posted
Posted

I'll look at some android tablets and see if I can find one for under $200. 8"screen seems way too small though. What size do you use? 

Tim Waldon
Posted
Posted

My tablet is 8". The size is a little small, but not too bad. My desk space is limited so it fits nicely on a stand and doesn't obstruct the view of my monitors. If you have the budget and space on your desk, a larger size tablet would definitely be nice.

• Like 1

Mike Teague
Posted
Posted (edited)

i have 4 monitors. (left, center, right, upper). the left monitor (27") that is my laptop display is for my charts

kinda hard to have multiple charts open at once on a tablet.

example:

image.thumb.png.8afea85baba4a8f133ed3d3e18c2659f.png

Edited by Mike Teague

John Stockton
Posted
Posted

I only fly IFR in USA. I have SkyVector on the internet. Therfore Alt+tab for viewing charts.

N313GM, P0: X-Plane 12.01r3, Windows 11, i7-13700k, RTX4080 (16GB), 32GB DDR4 4800

• 2 weeks later...
John McMurdo
Posted
Posted

I have a second monitor for charts and always with multiple tabs so I have quick access to all the charts I might need, and a laptop to monitor the airspace using simaware.

• Like 1