You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Create Your Own Airline Callsign

Andrew McHalpine

Andrew McHalpine
Posted
Posted

So I hope this isn't too dumb of a question. I did some searching around but didn't find much, hopefully I've not missed something. If you want to create your own "airline" callsign, does it have to be approved beforehand by the powers that be here at Vatsim? I've got a career addon that I like using and have a virtual airline that I fly flights with, but naturally it doesn't have a real-world counterpart. Is it acceptable to basically create my own airline radio callsign just on the fly? Thanks for y'all's time 🙂

David Bromage
Posted
Posted

You can use any callsign you like provided it's not one of the small number that are restricted. However controllers are unlikely to know what the ICAO code means if it's not a real world airline or one of the affiliated VAs. For this reason it's useful to put it in the remarks of your flight plan. For example I could connect as CCT1 and put "CALLSIGN CONCRETE" in the remarks, then use the callsign "CONCRETE 1". 

I have done this before as a joke for an event.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Andrew McHalpine
Posted
Posted

Perfect, thanks so much @David Bromage! Just what I was looking for.

Sebastian Crane
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, David Bromage said:

For example I could connect as CCT1 and put "CALLSIGN CONCRETE" in the remarks, then use the callsign "CONCRETE 1".

I would suggest 'CONCRETE 1 HEAVY' here!

• Haha 5

David Bromage
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Sebastian Crane said:

I would suggest 'CONCRETE 1 HEAVY' here!

Captain Adam Savage speaking...

• Haha 1