You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

On which request do you add "information X"

• atc atis

Michael Olsen

Michael Olsen
Posted
Posted

I'm preparing myself for the first VATSIM flight. I understand that one should inform ATC about the ATIS version using the "INFORMATION <letter>", but on which request? Several articles mention "first call to tower", but is it "tower" or can it also be done at the intial call to clerance or ground?

Trevor Hannant
Posted
Posted

First call for clearance

Trevor Hannant

Michael Olsen
Posted
Posted

Thanx .... 

Reinhard Ziegler
Posted
Posted (edited)

In most cases, it makes sense to add the ATIS letter on arrival too.

For example: I was flying LOWK-EHRD yesterday. LOVV_CTR sent me to unicom and next Center Controller was EHAA.

Over Belgium, I checked the latest EHRD ATIS and on initial contact with EHAA_CTR, I called in like "TUI1547, FL380, Rotterdam ATIS info Sierra, request descend".

So the ATC knows that he doesn't need to tell me which RWY is active for arrival.

Edited by Reinhard Ziegler

Martijn Rammeloo
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 11/20/2022 at 8:32 AM, Reinhard Ziegler said:

In most cases, it makes sense to add the ATIS letter on arrival too.

For example: I was flying LOWK-EHRD yesterday. LOVV_CTR sent me to unicom and next Center Controller was EHAA.

Over Belgium, I checked the latest EHRD ATIS and on initial contact with EHAA_CTR, I called in like "TUI1547, FL380, Rotterdam ATIS info Sierra, request descend".

So the ATC knows that he doesn't need to tell me which RWY is active for arrival.

However... (at least in EHAA airspace) CTR does not assign runways, APP does. That is why CTR tells you to _expect_ runway XX. So, no need to mention ATIS to CTR on initial contact. Callsign + flightlevel will suffice, as per AIP.

(Obviously, topdown procedures can make things a bit more obscure, but still..)

Edited by Martijn Rammeloo
  • Like 2

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

In my own practice:

1) during my initial call for clearance;

2) when ready to taxi for departure;

3) when arriving in the terminal airspace at my destination (i.e. being handed from Center to Approach).

• Like 1

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 11/18/2022 at 12:15 AM, Trevor Hannant said:

First call for clearance

Depends on the location, for example some places are on "first contact with ground or approach" Typically you would get your clearance from DEL (excluding VATSIM topdownisims) defiantly in Australia it's when you call for taxi. 

Edited by Kirk Christie
  • Like 2

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted
On 11/26/2022 at 9:53 AM, Robert Shearman Jr said:

3) when arriving in the terminal airspace at my destination (i.e. being handed from Center to Approach).

To add, in a top-down situation, at least in the US, if Center is handling Approach duties, you would normally let Center know when about 50NM from destination (simulating you reporting it to your Approach controller).

15 hours ago, Kirk Christie said:

... some places are on "fist contact with ground or approach" ...

We're actually (at least usually) a calm, civilized community....  I believe that to be a typo...  Should have likely said "first contact"... 😉😉😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations