You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

SimAware - Data/statistics showing player client version

Florian Grundl

Florian Grundl
Posted
Posted

Hello,

just for curiosity it would be interesting to get a new data option for SimAware. Is it possible to get an overview which clients the users are connecting with? Euroscope, xpilot, vpilot, ...

Regards

Florian

Lars Bergmann
Posted
Posted

That information is currently not included in the data source that SimAware (and every other VATSIM map) uses. VATSIM does, however, have that information.

So, could VATSIM make it happen? Yes.

Would it require a change to the data file format for little to no gain? Also yes.

I can't see them change the data file format to include that information anytime soon.

Florian Grundl
Posted
Posted

Would be really nice to see a live distribution of SIMs used on the network. Think it's in favor of MSFS today.

Lars Bergmann
Posted
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Florian Grundl said:

Would be really nice to see a live distribution of SIMs used on the network. Think it's in favor of MSFS today.

VATSIM doesn't have that data. The simulator used is not tracked, just the pilot client used. (Again, could they collect that data? Yes. But this time it would require not just a data file format change, but an FSD protocol change.)

Edited by Lars Bergmann

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Well, certain clients are very specific and in the past I remember that VATSIM was able to provide data. xpilot is always for X-Plane, vpilot will be for FSX, P3D and MSFS. swift for any of the aforementioned plus Flightgear.

It's been a while that I was a supervisor, but didn't our info-requests also show the FS-platform being used? Apart from all the passwords and other sensitive data 🤐

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Lars Bergmann said:

But this time it would require not just a data file format change, but an FSD protocol change.

It's actually already in the protocol, in the client info response that Andreas mentioned above. It's just not part of the data sent when the client first connects. Something (such as the data server) would have to send a query to each connecting pilot.

• Thanks 1

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Lars Bergmann
Posted
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Ross Carlson said:

It's actually already in the protocol, in the client info response that Andreas mentioned above. It's just not part of the data sent when the client first connects. Something (such as the data server) would have to send a query to each connecting pilot.

Are you sure that the actual simulator is in there and not just the pilot client used? I was fairly certain it was just the pilot client. That's pretty cool. I would love to see a distribution from the tech team then.

Edited by Lars Bergmann

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Lars Bergmann said:

Are you sure that the actual simulator is in there and not just the pilot client used? I was fairly certain it was just the pilot client. That's pretty cool. I would love to see a distribution from the tech team then.

Yeah, vPilot shows which sim it is. xPilot shows which version of X-Plane it is. I haven't checked what swift shows.

• Like 1

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC