You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Callsign For Cessna 172

Zack Fitzpatrick

Zack Fitzpatrick
Posted
Posted

Hey, I am just starting out with vatsim, and want to fly the Cessna 172, what could I put as my callsign in the connect tab and how do I say it to ATC.

I'm mosttly going to be flying in Australia if you need to know lol.

Thanks

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi Zack, welcome to VATSIM!

When you operate an aircraft under its registration (which is common for light aircraft; airline type aircraft are operated with the ICAO-code of the airline plus a flight number), then you just pick one that fits your purpose most or make one up. When logging in to VATSIM it is important that you do not include the "-" (dash) of the registration. In Australia aircraft are registered with the country code "VH", followed by the aforementioned "dash" and then 3 letters. For example "VH-ABC". When logging in to VATSIM you just used "VHABC" as "callsign". In some areas, maybe that is true for Australia as well, you don't even use the country code, so you may even be able to login as "ABC". In NZ it is definitely done this way. One of our Aussie friends may want to throw in his 50 cents here to clarify the rules for AUS.

Oh, and if you want to use a realistic registration, just Google for an Australian registered C172 and use its registration as callsign.