You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Recommendation for X-Plane 12 aircraft for NEW pilot that will be RNAV-capable for VATSIM

Joe Chou

Joe Chou
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm looking for a recommendation for an X-Plane 12 aircraft that can be used to fly RNAV routes on VATSIM that is as SIMPLE as possible for a new pilot.

In other words, I'm NOT looking for a super accurate representation of an airplane and requirements for start-up + complex systems + failure modeling. This is just to learn how to read RNAV charts and fly them without upsetting ATC and other pilots on VATSIM too much.

Once I've gotten that basic navigation understanding down, perhaps I can then graduate to better simulation. I like smaller aircraft, so no need to go for heavies (although I get the impression that it's mostly the bigger aircraft that support more advanced RNAV capabilities?)

(For context, when I started flight sim in the late 80's, GPS wasn't available and I happily tracked VOR radials using DME. That's my starting level of IFR knowledge... After a few decades away of not slight simming, I'm back to trying to learn what's new.)

Thanks for any suggestions!

Edited by Joe Chou
  • Like 1

David Bromage
Posted
Posted

You can do that in the default Cessna 172 as a way of getting started. The GNS530/steam gauge version will do this. There are some good tutorials on Youtube about how to use the GPS. You can create flight plans in Simbrief and download the .fms file to load into the GPS. You can then add SIDs/STARs as required and various approaches (ILS/RNAV/etc). You just have to remember to activate the approach at the initial approach fix.

For the glass cockpit G1000 experience, you could try the free Aerobask Robin DR401. The G1000 will also do VPATH descent.

Another option, still a work in progress but very easy to fly, is the free Beechcraft Bonanza A36.

The beauty of all these aircraft is you can still use radio navigation and fly VFR if you want. They are all easy and fun to hand fly.

Once you've got the hang of those and you're ready to graduate to better simulation, I can highly recommend the (payware) Airfoillabs King Air 350.

If you want to try bigger aircraft, the free Zibo 737-800 is very immersive with very advanced navigation capabilities. There are lots of tutorials about how to use the FMC and automation.

• Like 1