You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Use of the term "heavy" when checking in with the

Jeffrey Willwerth 1000211

Ian Elchitz 810151
Posted
Posted

...and it sounds so stupid when you call aircraft by that suffix.

Ian Elchitz

Just a guy without any fancy titles

Quinn Rogness 995587
Posted
Posted

A300, A310, L1011, DC10, MD11, 747, 767, 777, 787, a330, a340, a350,a380 are all heavies

David Jedrejcic
Posted
Posted

A small confusion on my part as a controller...

If I'm logged on as a CTR controller, and a heavy jet comes into my area, I don't need to use the Heavy term, I know that. But what happens when that aircraft enters an approach space in my area, and there is no one online below me, and I have to take this aircraft all the way to the gate. Do I begin calling it heavy when it enters the approach space?

The same question works backwards if a heavy calls for clearance - should I call it heavy as a CTR controller "acting as" clearance deliver, then ground, twr, and up? This is obviously a sim-ism, but just a little confusing. Anyone know what the VATSIM rules are on that? I appreciate your input!

David Jedrejcic

vZDC DATM

UVA DCAFO [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istant Manager

Nicholas Bartolotta 912967
Posted
Posted

I had a chance to meet an ATA dispatcher last Friday in Indianapolis and asked him about ATA's "heavy" 757-200s. I've seen sometimes on FlightAware they use the H/ and other times the 757-200 doesn't use it, and I asked him why that was. He explained that for domestic flights it uses the H/ always, because the FAA lowered the cap to 255,000lbs, and that fits ATA's 757-200s. But he said when going internationally, the ICAO standards screw it all up and it's based instead on what the ACTUAL aircraft weight is on takeoff, not what the MTOW is, so it varies.

This doesn't really have to do with anything someone brought up in this post, but I thought it might be some interesting info on the topic of heavies.

Nick Bartolotta - ZSE Instructor, pilot at large

"Just fly it on down to within a inch of the runway and let it drop in from there."

- Capt. Don Lanham, ATA Airlines

Richard Walsh
Posted
Posted
and the A380 is apparently going to be described as "Superheavy"

Ruth

VATGOV7

Did they decide that "Obese" would be too offensive?

Jeffery Williams 849847
Posted
Posted

Not to sound too harsh, but from what I've seen lately many of the pilots on VATSIM need to focus on learning how to fly their airplanes as opposed to worrying about whether or not to call themselves a heavy.

Andrew Doubleday
Posted
Posted
Not to sound too harsh, but from what I've seen lately many of the pilots on VATSIM need to focus on learning how to fly their airplanes as opposed to worrying about whether or not to call themselves a heavy.

lol... absolutely agreed.

AD

Andrew James Doubleday | Twitch Stream: Ground_Point_Niner

University of North Dakota | FAA Air Traffic Collegiate Training Initiative (AT-CTI) GraduateGPN_Horizontal_-_Tertiary.thumb.png.9d7edc4d985ab7ed1dc60b92a5dfa85c.png

Gary Millsaps 830104
Posted
Posted

AMEN!!!

Gary Millsaps

VATUSA1

"I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me...

guaranteed."

Dustin Rider
Posted
Posted
A small confusion on my part as a controller...

If I'm logged on as a CTR controller, and a heavy jet comes into my area, I don't need to use the Heavy term, I know that. But what happens when that aircraft enters an approach space in my area, and there is no one online below me, and I have to take this aircraft all the way to the gate. Do I begin calling it heavy when it enters the approach space?

The same question works backwards if a heavy calls for clearance - should I call it heavy as a CTR controller "acting as" clearance deliver, then ground, twr, and up? This is obviously a sim-ism, but just a little confusing. Anyone know what the VATSIM rules are on that? I appreciate your input!

Where the aircraft has entered the airspace normally controlled by a terminal-type controller (TRACON/ATCT/etc.), start using "Heavy." This is, of course, something I keep forgetting to do :/ , but it seems to make the most sense. (Didn't see anyone specifically answer your question so I thought I'd pop in.)

Bill Casey
Posted
Posted

And just to add to the confusion (cos I can), we don't use the term "Heavy" in Europe at all that I am aware of, most definitely not in UK airspace.

Bill Casey