You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

FSX - Is it worth upgrading the graphics card for it? Thanks

Dale Nappey 949123

Dale Nappey 949123
Posted
Posted

FSX - Is it worth upgrading the graphics card for it?

Thanks to all those that looked but couldnt be bothered replying - to think this is under a members helping members section!?!

Frankly i'm shocked and severely dissappointed that someone without the knowledge and experience comes to this forum cap in hand to ask of the fountain of experienced simmers - to get ignored.

Beleive me i will not be making the same mistake again in the future.

Daniel Hill 810430
Posted
Posted

Thanks to all those that looked but couldnt be bothered replying - to think this is under a members helping members section!?!

Frankly i'm shocked and severely dissappointed that someone without the knowledge and experience comes to this forum cap in hand to ask of the fountain of experienced simmers - to get ignored.

You need to thicken that skin a little bit.

From countless other threads on the FSX experience it is clear -- at least to me -- that FSX is a big disappointment on all but the very highest-end computers. That being the case, why would you even consider throwing good money after bad?

This is why I never upgrade immediately. FS9 wasn't broken. Why attempt to fix it?

Respectfully,

Daniel Hill 810430

[Just Plain Ole' Dan]

Chris Nineham 992809
Posted
Posted

From my experience with FSX, it needs a powerful graphics card but seems to need an even more powerful CPU. I purchased an Nvidia 8800GTX as soon as it came on the market. Cost me just under £400 but was determined to get FSX going good. Didn't quite happen. Put the 8800GTX in my Pentium D 3.0 with 3GB RAM and had the shock of my life. FSX still ran awfully. I played around for a good few weeks then did what most did and simply gave up. Im now back with FS2004 and will be for a while until I see some solid performance stats on high end machines running FSX. I'm quite happy to spend a couple of grand on a new PC but from all that I have read even the Core Duo extreme 2.9 struggles to power FSX. Personally I think microsoft pushed the boundry in regards to what hardware will run it just a little too far this time as it appears very very few people are happy with it. DirectX 10 is what a lot of people are pinning their hopes on to be the saviour of FSX but again from what i've read and heared, DirectX 10 might not save the day quite as everyone expects it too. What will save the day is a 25GHZ processor, 16GB's of RAM and a 7.5GB Directx 27 graphics card!!! Well thats what it feels like to me anyway. My advice is wait a few more months then search the net for some benchmark tests and see what you get. But in short, no, a new graphics card on its own will not help you.

Hope this advice helps

• 1 month later...
Braden Greats 1004399
Posted
Posted

I know what you mean.So hard to get help.

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

In answer to your question yes buy FSX.

but you will need to upgrade, that said my upgrade only cost me 650quid. (sterling)

MOBO

Intel Duo core chip

2gig ram

2 x sata drives

Nvidia 7900GS card.

I get staggering framerates but only need 25fps and it looks fab.

The only downside in my view is the lack of any payware aircraft being available for FSX just yet, but that will be remidied quite soon.

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

Chris Brew 814351
Posted
Posted

Just upgrading your graphics card will leave you disappointed when you try to run FSX. Wait until you can get a complete new system with Vista/Direct X 10/DX10 Video card. I have a 256 MB DX9 video card on a new dual-core CPU Vista system and get around 25 FPS with settings in the mid range. The other bonus is that more addons will be available if you wait.

• 1 month later...
Alex McGillicuddy 1001707
Posted
Posted

I agree with the others, wait until you get a new system with a good card, then get FSX. I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop with an Intel Core 2 Duo, and a Radeon x1300, and it runs FSX fine, however I can't put advanced animation or anything, then it gets real choppy, and low fps....so it all depends on what settings and performance of the game you want out of it.

Alex

3921.png