You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Guidance when logging in

David Klain 874106

Mats Edvin Aaro
Message added by Mats Edvin Aaro

This post was made when the old CoC was still in effect. There is new guidance and rules on naming conventions on the network. To see the updated policy, review the VATSIM Code of Conduct.

David Klain 874106
Posted
Posted

We are noting an increasing number of pilots and controllers logging in to the network and not complying with the code of conduct. Paragraph A.4 specifically states that people must log in with their full name. Nicknames, callsigns, etc. are not permitted. To provide additional clarification, this also means people should not be logging in with things like titles or organizational information. Examples of inappropriate logins include:

• "Maverick" Smith
  • John "Maverick" Smith
  • Maverick
    LCDR John Smith
  • John Smith VUSAF

Several of the clients still used to connect to the network do have a "home airport" field and the contents of that field are appended after the name in displays like Servinfo. Some VAs have used that field to put VA-specific identifiers...and put the same data in the name field after the pilot's surname when logging in. These policies are also not correct.

Those using a client which does have the "home airport" field are still welcme to put an ICAO code in that field, anything but an ICAO code is in violation of this guidance.

To clarify, when logging in to the network, put your full name (the name you registered with when you joined VATSIM) and only your full name in the name field. Callsigns, ranks, organizations, etc. belong in the remarks/comments section of your flightplan, not the name field.

VATSIM supervisors have been briefed on this policy clarification and will be monitoring for compliance.

Thank you for your [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance in this matter.

Dave

• 2 months later...
Anthony Atkielski 985811
Posted
Posted

Does this mean that the home airport ICAO code is not necessary/desirable? I'm so rarely at my "home" airport (KCHD) that it's hard to really call it a home airport, and I'm not frequently enough at any other one airport to call it home. What's the recommended thing to do with the home airport field?

8564.png

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

It isn't a "must have" - the choice to display it is that of the user and can be wherever they feel. It doesnt have to be your physical location.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Paul O'Donnell 969350
Posted
Posted
Does this mean that the home airport ICAO code is not necessary/desirable? I'm so rarely at my "home" airport (KCHD) that it's hard to really call it a home airport, and I'm not frequently enough at any other one airport to call it home. What's the recommended thing to do with the home airport field?

It's entirely optional. Alot of pilots use it as the nearest airport to them in real life, alot of others use it as their hub for their VA, some put the airport they control at.

I often have mine as EGNX, sometimes I will have it as WSSS (where I control), othertimes I will have EGPF where I used to live.

It's entirely up to the user.

Regards,

Paul O'Donnell

SINvACC - INS/CTR+

www.sinvacc.net

• 10 years later...
Saib Aboulbaraket 1394843
Posted
Posted

Hello I'm a former IVAO user and I have decided to change to VATSIM and I just wan't to know if I need teamspeak

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted
Hello I'm a former IVAO user and I have decided to change to VATSIM and I just wan't to know if I need teamspeak

No, you do not. Read the following information below, it explains how to get started on VATSIM.

PRC - Getting Started

• Mats Edvin Aaro unpinned this topic