You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Support for Pacific Islands?

Martin McMichael 999634

Martin McMichael 999634
Posted
Posted

The Pacific Isl. are supposed to be under Oceania but they aren't mentioned as a part of Oceania in the welcome letter sticky and I don't see anyone even talking about the Pacific Islands region. It's like it has just dissappeared!

I can't even access the Pacific Islands charts on ChartFiner or that other site in VatSim (charts.vatsim.com). There are so many broken links here it's not funny.

Any idea what's going on here? Why so many broken links? Is the FAA shutting these down? It doesn't seem like the website is maintained.

Please Help.

Martin

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Martin,

Or may I call you Mr Doom and Gloom?

I already advised why the charts links vanish - the internet is a dynamic place and this will happen - sometimes more often than those who maintain the links - are able to keep up with. Additionally, as previously advised, chartfinder only covers the USA, the UK and old Canadian charts.

The islands are part of Oceania Region - specifically the Pacific Division and are staffed on occ[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ion, especially the French elements.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Mark Richards
Posted
Posted

Martin

The AIP for Fiji and some of the Pacific Islands is maintained by the Airways Corporation of New Zealand. VATNZ has made recent enquiries with them and most charts have not been updated since 1994 and there is no immediate need to as very little has changed and there is no intention of putting them online.

Mark

Mark Richards (811451)

Auckland, New Zealand

Matt Chase 974571
Posted
Posted

And we have our own forum at http://www.vatpac.org.

Relax! Chartfinder was only opened in the last month and has US, UK and some outdated Canadian ones. It's not meant to have Australian, Kiwi or the Pacific Islands ones yet, use the links Mark gave you above.

Matt Chase

VATPAC C1 /O

Martin McMichael 999634
Posted
Posted

Can you blame me for trying to get the most out of my VATSIM experience?

When I signed up with VATSIM I was given instruction to go to my region / division to learn the rules. This is what I am attempting to do but it seems like my division only has information about Australia and New Zealand. It would be nice if the welcome sticky recognized the Pacific Islands (i.e. Micronesia) as well.

I need to let you all know that there are some Pacific Islands that ARE listed in ChartFinder (PGUM, PGRO etc.) as these are part of Micronesia. And PGUM, specifically, is a territory of the U.S.

I am able to see these file folders on ChartFinder but my problem is I cannot open their contents. And, yes, I do have a .pdf reader.

I was able to open the contents of these files once, maybe a little over a week ago, but ever since then - nothing. I've even tried to connect to ChartFinder's reference website www.naco.faa.gov directly and I can't even connect. This is the reason I thought the links were now broken.

Jeff Smith 900591
Posted
Posted
The Pacific Isl. are supposed to be under Oceania but they aren't mentioned as a part of Oceania in the welcome letter sticky and I don't see anyone even talking about the Pacific Islands region. It's like it has just dissappeared!

I can't even access the Pacific Islands charts on ChartFiner or that other site in VatSim (charts.vatsim.com). There are so many broken links here it's not funny.

Any idea what's going on here? Why so many broken links? Is the FAA shutting these down? It doesn't seem like the website is maintained.

Please Help.

Can you blame me for trying to get the most out of my VATSIM experience?

When I signed up with VATSIM I was given instruction to go to my region / division to learn the rules. This is what I am attempting to do but it seems like my division only has information about Australia and New Zealand. It would be nice if the welcome sticky recognized the Pacific Islands (i.e. Micronesia) as well.

I need to let you all know that there are some Pacific Islands that ARE listed in ChartFinder (PGUM, PGRO etc.) as these are part of Micronesia. And PGUM, specifically, is a territory of the U.S.

I am able to see these file folders on ChartFinder but my problem is I cannot open their contents. And, yes, I do have a .pdf reader.

I was able to open the contents of these files once, maybe a little over a week ago, but ever since then - nothing. I've even tried to connect to ChartFinder's reference website www.naco.faa.gov directly and I can't even connect. This is the reason I thought the links were now broken.

Martin

Hello Martin

I was only made known of your plight yesterday from Matt. Been a while since I checked this forum, but control in the oceania islands is alive and well. I control in Nadi Fiji whenever I can and yesterday I opened NFFF_FSS (Nadi Radio) for 22 hours with good steady flow of traffic the entire time. When you join VATPAC or VATNZ, you can control anywhere in the ocenia region. If you can't find the charts you are looking for on the internet and I know you won't find anything on Nauru or Bonriki, there are alternate sources which require a fee. I have looked hi and lo all over the world wide web and I have been unsuccessful thus far. There is a thread I posted on the VATPAC & VATNZ forum showing where to go for pay flightsim charts (for use currently with FSX, but still good for FS9). Sorry but the link escapes my memory at this time. Search either forum for Jeppesen Sim Charts and you should find it. Norman, Matt, and Mark have all pointed you in the direction to look, but if you really want to control the islands, a good starting point is learning the tower and then centre trades in Australia and NZ. It's how I studied, and I'm a yank from the US and had to learn ALL NEW rules and regs and airspace cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ifications.

I know of websites with charts for NFFN, NVVV, all of French Polynesia & New Caledonia from the French SIA website, and all charts for NZ & Oz. Those are the freebies. All else is a struggle to find.

Keep in mind that VATPAC only has the Nauru FIR and the southern chain of the Marshalls in the Nadi FIR (specifically Tarawa) in its airspace. The majority of Micronesia falls under Oakland Oceanic airspace and on VATSIM, they are all volunteer controllers from many different VATSIM divisions (not just VATUSA). As to opening a tower in Guam when you become an S1, I'm not certain who's division airspace you would fall under as the volunteers in Oakland Oceanic are all FSS positions (read that as Oceanic controllers) and I don't recall ever seeing PGUM_TWR online. Perhaps Norman or Mark can clarify this.

Well Enjoy your time in VATPAC and look for me online somewhere in the pacific

Jeff Smith

Jeff Smith, VATOCE2

VATSIM OCEANIA

Deputy RD

http://www.worldflight.com.au

vatoce_logo60.jpg

atc2o.png

• 2 weeks later...
Jean-Louis Richon
Posted
Posted

all of French Polynesia & New Caledonia from the French SIA website,

Jeff Smith

Hi,Jeff

Just for giive the links for SIA ,the gouvrenemental french site for Charts (in french and english)

http://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/html/frameset_aip_fr.htm

and the information :

Each Monday from 2000Z to 2200Z, TAHITI FIR is full staffed.

bv000002.jpg

Check this link :

http://perso.orange.fr/voler.ensemble/topic1/index.html

Welcome.

Jean louis

for FPCG

image_forum_vatfrance_1582109199_mod-1cdf271a08624f3ce2a10ee81f67f5b9-lining-up-commercial-aircraft.jpg

• 1 year later...
Daniel Schuneman 1091816
Posted
Posted

Noticed this post while checking out forums . PGUM tower does not control airspace around Guam. The radar station is actually up near Anderson Airforce Base (PGUA). Oakland controlls area encomp[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing area north of equatorand includes Area from Palau to Majuro, Kosrai, Phonepi, Yap, Chuuk, Wake , Midway, Northern Marianas and Guam and any other out lying islands in Micronesia. Keep in mind that VATPAC only has the Nauru FIR and the southern chain of the Marshalls in the Nadi FIR (specifically Tarawa) in its airspace. The majority of Micronesia falls under Oakland Oceanic airspace and on VATSIM, they are all volunteer controllers from many different VATSIM divisions (not just VATUSA). As to opening a tower in Guam when you become an S1, I'm not certain who's division airspace you would fall under as the volunteers in Oakland Oceanic are all FSS positions (read that as Oceanic controllers) and I don't recall ever seeing PGUM_TWR online. Perhaps Norman or Mark can clarify this.

Well Enjoy your time in VATPAC and look for me online somewhere in the pacific

checking forums.