You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

who owns khsv????

Edward Mosier 902482

Edward Mosier 902482
Posted
Posted

What is up with khsv??

Flew from ellx to khsv today. All went well until my decent into khsv, ztl tried to hand me off to zme, but he did not want me. He finally took me, but he did not seem to happy.

I was very disapointed with the final minutes of this long flight.

On servinfo khsv looks like it is in both centers.

I could use some clarification on this airport as it is one my va uses from time to time. Next time I will disconect at tod so not to annoy any controler.

Captain Edward Mosier (1287)

"just an earthbound misfit am I..."

www.globecargova.org

Polar and Atlas Freight ops

RFP747-200 & PMDG 747-400

Now with DHL freight division using

Flight-1 ATR, and 727, and LevelD 767

Scott Johnston 890281
Posted
Posted (edited)

ZME has the airspace FL230 and below. The reason the Memphis controller was mad, is because per the ZME/ZTL LOA, the ZTL controller should have you at 8000 by the Low Altitude Boundary. But of course, some controllers don't read LOA's...

So to answer your question, ZME (Memphis) "owns" HSV.

Edited by Guest

Aaron Flodin 878523
Posted
Posted
because per the ZME/ZTL LOA, the ZTL controller should have you at 8000 by the Low Altitude Boundary

Nothin like the ole chop and drop eh

DPE / CFI / CFII / MEI (Gold Seal)

CP-ASEL, AMEL, IA, GLIDER, E170/175/190/195, CE-500

VATSIM Supervisor

Timothy Boger 942264
Posted
Posted

Ah....I hate those airports. ATW is even worse... ATW_TWR is a position that would be covered by ZAU but APP/DEP is handled by ZMP. Try that one on for size.

Timothy Boger

ZMP ATM!

Edward Mosier 902482
Posted
Posted

Well, Ok, in all fairness to the controlers, at about 30 miles or so before my tod, the ztl controler went offline, or controlers changed, because after a few minutes a new contorler came on. He asked me to contact him on his frq. I contacted him, and he gave me radar contact. By now he is busy with other planes, and I am well pasted tod. I request decent from him since khsv has no star. He gives me a decent to fl240. At fl240 I am about 20 miles from the airport. The contoler comes on and says he is having problems handing me off to zme .A couple more minutes later, he tells me now to decent to 8,000 and go to zme.

Well anyway, got the old bird down in very gusty conditions, but it was not the most pleasent moment on vatsim, but I can understand it from the controlers side also.

I have always enjoyed flying in atlanta airspace and katl airport. zme has always been pleasant when flying through. Good service from both, this was just one of those things I did not expect.

Thanx for the replies to this post.

www.globecargova.org

Robert Ogden 985378
Posted
Posted

Hey there Ed! I was MEM CTR when you came in and I apologize if my anger at the I3 who didn't know the LOAs came across on freq to you. I'd actually love to see more aircraft coming into KHSV, though I certainly hope their experience goes better than yours!

Heres to crossing the runway threshold at FL240!

216.png

James David Perry 975084
Posted
Posted

jayperryswa5956.gif

5968.png

Alan Hensley 950569
Posted
Posted
ZME has the airspace below FL230.

Memphis Center owns FLIGHT LEVEL 230 AND below. Sorry for any confusion

Alan Hensley

Training Adminstrator

Memphis Center

Chris McGee
Posted
Posted

I will say, from my controlling days with ZID. Atlanta has some problems reading those dang LOA's But, when you have the traffic Atlanta does. Just might have to give that center controller a bit of a break.

Kyle Steever 810905
Posted
Posted

Traffic handling is not the issue, it's the lack of attention to training I would say. I started my controlling career at ZMP. alongside you Chris. ZAU has never had an issue with the LOA's between ZMP or ZID on a regular basis. I've talked to multiple people from the surrounding artcc's of ZAU, with no consistent issues. KZAU is one of the busiest ARTCC's in the entire VATSIM world, if not THE busiest, PERIOD. Even when they don't have events going on, they are still running several arrivals and departures per hour, all hours of the day. The issue at hand is not who is at fault. It doesn't matter who is at fault, it is WHY they are at fault. Someone, somewhere along the line forgot to enforce the most basic rules about controlling, LOAs. Teamwork is imperative in this controlling world, whether internal or external. Petty quarreling will resolve nothing. It's time that we started to fix the problem and not just stand around with our thumb up our rears wondering what to do about it...

vZME Air Traffic Manager

userbar474384ny4.gif

... --- ... ... --- ...

Mark J Angstadt 814878
Posted
Posted

Chris,

As Kyle pointed out, The point of the matter is, the ZTL controller wasn't doing his job 100%, 25% won't cut it, 50% won't do it either, as long as the problem is understood, accepted, and corrected then we all will be happy campers.

Mark J Angstadt

ZME Events Director

Edward Mosier 902482
Posted
Posted

My post was not out to blame or critisize any controler here.

As stated above, in my other post, the new atlanta controler had just come on line and was fairly busy with other pilots at the time, so I probably just fell through the cracks here, so to speak.

Servinfo, states that khsv, is owned by atlanta center, so I was expecting atlanta to vector me in, but now I see it is different for that airport and next time I will know what to expect.

If I had known at the time about the airspace differences, I would have requested a holding decent pattern to 8000, it indeed that was possible.

I have had that particular atlanta center controler in the past ( I will not say his name here), and have had excellent service from him.

www.globecargova.org

Travis Faudree 821145
Posted
Posted

Just another reason this I3 shouldn't be an I3.

Kyle Steever 810905
Posted
Posted

If I had known at the time about the airspace differences, I would have requested a holding decent pattern to 8000, it indeed that was possible.

The controller from memphis and myself went over these for 2 hours the other day, using your case as an example. We don't like doing it, but still like to know as a "just in case" .

vZME Air Traffic Manager

userbar474384ny4.gif

... --- ... ... --- ...

Chris McGee
Posted
Posted

*Steps Back A Few Feet*

Stephen Keskitalo 977981
Posted
Posted

I totally pwnzored KHSV the other night.

BTW,

Owner: HUNTSVILLE MADISON COUNTY

P O BOX 20008

HUNTSVILLE, AL 35824

Phone 256-772-9395

AIRPORT AUTHORITY

EXTN 260.

Brandon Grchan 925585
Posted
Posted
I totally pwnzored KHSV the other night.

BTW,

Owner: HUNTSVILLE MADISON COUNTY

P O BOX 20008

HUNTSVILLE, AL 35824

Phone 256-772-9395

AIRPORT AUTHORITY

EXTN 260.

lol

lollercoaster

Thomas Akins 955461
Posted
Posted