You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VRC and version check.

Martins Lezdins 854634

Martins Lezdins 854634
Posted
Posted

Hi all,

I am using VRC as primary radar display and every time I start the VRC it Loads Network info.. and performes version check.. and this process isn't allways a success.

Is there any possible ways to get rid of Version check every time the VRC starts? This automated feature really gums up my computer.

Thanks,

Martins.

David Klain 874106
Posted
Posted

Post moved to VRC forum. DK

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

No, there's no way. What do you mean it "gums" up the computer? It's a simple web file download that normally takes just a second or two, and it will automatically timeout and show an error if it takes too long.

Note in version 1.2 (currently in development) the server list download and the version check have been moved to background processes, so you can still interact with the scope and menus while they are happening.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Robert Ogden 985378
Posted
Posted
Note in version 1.2 (currently in development) the server list download and the version check have been moved to background processes, so you can still interact with the scope and menus while they are happening.

thank. . .you.

216.png

Steve Ogrodowski 876322
Posted
Posted

Also a thank you. A few times I used my laptop to run VRC, and lucky me my laptop came with a fresh version of Norton. For some reason, although VRC is on the "OK" list, it blocks the version check and server download, even if it says the firewall is off [although I had no problem connecting to the network, and VRC otherwise runs fine.]

Anyways my point is, when it was blocked from retrieving the initial data, it took a LONG time to come back to life [taking about 60 seconds or so]. I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umed it was just my laptop, but maybe it wasn't just me. I thought it was going to just lock up.

Steve Ogrodowski

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Note that you still won't be able to connect to the network until the server list downloads ... VRC just won't lock up during the download like it does in V1.1 and 1.0.

I may consider changing it so that you can use the last-cached server list if you try to connect before the new server list is fetched. We'll see.

Luca Vetturi 874351
Posted
Posted

As always, another great idea.

Thumbs up!

Red over white, you're all right.

Italy vACC proud supporter

Martins Lezdins 854634
Posted
Posted

Okay, but PC hangs up a bit and I really don't like that time out error.. and it takes too much time for me while VRC preforms version check.. Why it can't use the last-cached server list?

Is there a way to disable version check during VRC startup?

Btw ... The newest, under development version of VRC sounds to be promising.. What other new features are there to be implemented in it?

Thnx.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Btw ... The newest, under development version of VRC sounds to be promising.. What other new features are there to be implemented in it?

The new feature list is not yet finalized, so I won't say. I'll make an announcement once I have a finalized feature list.