You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Complete and utter new guy - wants in on this so very badly

Angelis Gabriel 1001514

Angelis Gabriel 1001514
Posted
Posted

Hi guys, as the title says, I'm new, just signed up, and I want to joing this network so bad!

First of, I'd like to know how I can learn all this? Are there online lessons I can take? Or do i need to observe an ATC for a length of time first?

Matt Chase 974571
Posted
Posted

Hi! There is no obligation for you as a pilot to take any tests etc, but it is strongly recommended you have a look at the PRC (http://www.vatsim.net/prc). Read through that, sit for a few nights listening to ATC and finally start off small, like in a C172. This way you can adapt to the online environment, and be able to fly everything from a prop to the big jets online, without looking clueless.

Matt Chase

VATPAC C1 /O

Angelis Gabriel 1001514
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the reply

I want to learn to be an ATC, and also a pilot. I'm not sure which one I want the most - ATC seems more involved, i'm hoping I get to speak to lots of people - and also the flying - ahhh... I can't wait

I think I'll start with ATC - I'm using linux - are there any clients avalible for linux? Or am I going to have to make the switch to windows?

Neil Dewson-Smyth 813906
Posted
Posted

Pilot mentors are available in the UK to show you the basics and introduce you to online flying. You can contact our New Pilot Coordinator (Dave Winters VATUKT3) by visiting our staff page at www.vatsim-uk.org

ATC training within the UK is strictly regulated and training provided through our regional training schemes and mentors. Again our website will provide all the information you need.

Neil Dewson-Smyth

VATSIM Europe RCRP Lead

vatsim[at]d-s.demon.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...
Francis Shepherd 980238
Posted
Posted
Thanks for the reply

I want to learn to be an ATC, and also a pilot. I'm not sure which one I want the most - ATC seems more involved, i'm hoping I get to speak to lots of people - and also the flying - ahhh... I can't wait

I think I'll start with ATC - I'm using linux - are there any clients avalible for linux? Or am I going to have to make the switch to windows?

currently both the Flight Simulator software (Microsoft Flight Simulator) which is used by around 90% of all VATSIM pilotss, runs exclusively on Windows as a Microsoft-manufactured program. VRC and ASRC are engineered for Windows. There is pilot software for X-plane users, xsquawkbox, but no ATC client compatibility with Linux at this time. You could try using WINE (Windows Emulator). Otherwise i recommend a switch to Windows.

generate.php?mid=1235