You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

ATC ranking system

Alfredo Pacheco Jr 966120

Posted
Posted

Hey all,

I am im the academy right now. Living in Pacific time zone, and working fri-mon. Im trying my best to make the cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es. With this in mind, I have two questions:

1) On average, would you say that it is a moderate challenge, or not that difficult to p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] thru all of the courese? ( I have no knowledge about ATC)

2) What is the ranking system for ATC?

Something like Observer, S3, S2... And what does each position mean/require? Like after so many hours and a test?

Ok so it's more that one question. But, I know once a person grad's from the academy and spends time at there ARTCC, they can take some exam to move up to the next level right?

I am trying to understand this as I am trying to apply to the VUSN ATC course, but am required to be an S3 and in good standing with my ARTCC.

61.png

vrs_supporter_black.gif

Steven Rogers 901202
Posted
Posted

I can only touch on a couple of your questions as I am not farmiliar with the VATUSA system.

The 'rankings' for ATC are as follows: Observer/Pilot (Obs), which means you can log onto ASRC or VRC and watch and listen, but cannot actively control. Next is Student 1 (S1), what this allows is different for each division and ARTCC, but it effectively means you can actively control, usually only on tower or ground. Next is Student 3 or senior student (S3), and again means different things in different areas, but usually allows you to control Approach/departure control and centres.

To progress up the ladder, each ARTCC will usually require a certain amount of time online and that you p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] either a theoretical or practical test.

It can be quite a challenge to become ATC, especially if you know nothing about it, nor fly IRL, but if you study the materials provided to you, it should be too difficult.

To touch on your last sentence, to "be in good standing with an ARTCC/the community as a whole" just means you haven't had any grevances (sp?) and usually try to help out wherever possible on forums or online.

Posted
Posted

Thank you Steven. This helped me out allot.

So, if you start vatsim as an observer, then what are you when you enter the academy? I was under the impression it was S1. Becuase when I log into VRC/ASRC, I can do so as an S1 and observer as my title in VRC, and S1 in ASRC.

61.png

vrs_supporter_black.gif

Steve Ogrodowski 876322
Posted
Posted

You can log in with any rating you've been permitted, and any below it. I'm rated as an Instructor, but I can log in as OBS, S-1, S-3, C-1, or C-3.

If the highest you've been promoted is S-1, you can log in as an OBS or S-1.

1) On average, would you say that it is a moderate challenge, or not that difficult to p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] thru all of the courese? ( I have no knowledge about ATC)

As Steven said, it can be a challenge at times. You go through the VATUSA ATC Academy to be trained the basics about the ATC system, airspace, and standard procedures and phraseology for the ATCT (Air Traffic Control Tower). Once you graduate, you go to an ARTCC to finish training (with the local procedures). I don't remember if you come out of the Academy at the S-3 level or not.

Generally, whether an ARTCC has a specific policy or procedure about it, S-3 is the level where you start Approach training. So, what it sounds like is that the VUSN wants controllers to have basic training of the ATCT level, and possibly some training at the TRACON level (Terminal Radar Approach Control).

Steve Ogrodowski

Martin Georg 811874
Posted
Posted

Could this please be moved to the VATUSA forum? This has nothing to do with VATSIM in general!

A general plea to VATUSA members: Please don´t mistake this board here for the VATUSA board. This board is for topics of general interest to the whole VATSIM community. It´s not for the discussion of VATUSA-specific issues and questions.

During the last months, I´ve seen a growing number of topics opened here which are not targeted at the general VATSIM community. May I please ask for a more proactive moderation, moving topics to the right places?

Thanks!

best regards,

Martin Georg

3500.png

Tyler Smith 864159
Posted
Posted

Martin-

It may have been moved since you wrote your post, I'm not sure, but it is actually in the "United States" section of the forum.

Tyler Smith

Steve Ogrodowski 876322
Posted
Posted
Martin-

It may have been moved since you wrote your post, I'm not sure, but it is actually in the "United States" section of the forum.

_________

Looks like there was no "moved" notification. It was in the Pilot Discussion forum before, and Martin made that post.

Steve Ogrodowski

Posted
Posted

It is in the USA section now. And I am sorry for the wrong placement. I thought I put it in the ATC section in the begining, which I thought was were it went. And I have too, seen an increase in placing a forum in a wrong location.

But unfortunantly, the issue with this is a few things that I could think of.

One would be how newcomers don't really know about the correct placement. And how many are in need of an answer and don't want to wait for someone to check thru all of the forum topics, so they put it in the General section becuase that has the most traffic flow of readers and is at the top of the list.

61.png

vrs_supporter_black.gif

Mike Fries
Posted
Posted

You'll get S3 after graduating the academy and then at least 30 days between promotions are required after that

0.png

John Chambers 990292
Posted
Posted

As a recent (December 2006) Academy graduate I'll try to answer your questions...

I consider it a "moderate" challenge to p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] through all of the courses (3 courses and 3 labs) of the Academy. I also knew very little about ATC, but the academy has excellent instructors, and the information is presented in such a way that it is covered over and over again through the courses and exams to make learning easier.

Now that the academy has become very popular (as I understand), it may take a bit more time to get to all of the cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es in the proper order than it was a few months ago. I was lucky in that my second week had each of the cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es/labs scheduled beginning on Monday and ending on Friday. I made it through all of the cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es, labs and exams in that week, but it took a LOT of study between the cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es.

As I recall you enter the academy as an S1 and remain at that level until you graduate, at which time you are promoted to S3 and [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned to your ARTCC. Each ARTCC is different, and you may have to take a local SOP exam when you get there, at any rate you will have to become very familiar with the local SOP and proceedures at the facilities which you will control.

I was certified for Delivery and Ground within a few days, and tower a short time later. Yes, you graduate from the academy knowing the basics of Tower control, but each location is different due to local terrain, SIDs, STARs, altitudes and so forth. As you become familiar with the local control on tower you will be trained by one of your local instructors or mentors on Approach and Departure control.

Once again this varies with your ARTCC, as many have more than one major airport in the Approach sector, and many times you will be the only departure/ground/delivery controller for several airports as well as handling both arrivals and departures for your sector. While it is sometimes a real handful, you will find it both rewarding and enjoyable in the final analysis.

During your time on Approach/Departure you will likely continue training either live or on Sweatbox or both, and when the instructors find that you are ready you'll be ready to take the test for Controller (C1). The exam covers a bit of everything up to this point, but your teachers should have prepared you for the test.

This is where I am now, just p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed my C1 test and waiting for my OTS (over the sholder) portion, which after successful completion you become certified as a Controller C1 (wish me luck here!)

While I haven't been past this point, the next training begins for Center and any other special qualifications your ARTCC requires (like Oceanic etc), then up the ranks to C3, Instructor I1, and eventually Instructor I3.

Sorry to be so long winded, but hopefully these are the answers you were looking for. Good luck in the Academy, and at your ARTCC as you continue your move up the ranks!

Posted
Posted

Hi John,

Thanks so much for this. I have every question answered. And good luck on your over the shoulder exam!!!!

61.png

vrs_supporter_black.gif