You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

What does teamwork mean to you?

Bryant Andrew 857583

Bryant Andrew 857583
Posted
Posted

Ok....well, after reading about 3 pages of the same thing over and over and over again, it really gave me a cold realization of why i stopped controlling back after i resigned my DATM position at ZMP. I got tired of the complaining and the b!tching, and the bickering and the whole egotistically, political aspect of VATUSA. Going from a controller to a DATM really opened eyes for me, and really sucked the fun out of controlling on the VATSIM network. After I resigned my position, i took time off from controlling, and just flew every now and then. Just recently, i started getting back in the saddle, and was introduced to a link. Needless to say this thread reminded me why i stopped controlling....i HAD fun controlling, until i became a Staff member, and all i heard was the same [Mod - lovely stuff] in meeting after meeting, and read the same posts of just useless bickering and fighting...its sad and it disappoints me because it just seems like the VATUSA community is bringing eachother down.

The first thing you learn in air traffic control, is that you are a team, ONE TEAM, you p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] aircraft from one person to another, you coordinate and communicate as ONE, thats the only way an air traffic system works, and if all you guys do is argue how do you expect to trust eachother...are you noticing a chain reaction...if 2 controllers from adjacent facililties are holding grudges and arguing with one another, then how the hell are they suppose to work together, i know when i am here at the lab for my cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts], we brief and tell eachother how we are goin to do things that way we know what to expect from eachother. Have any of you ever done that with someone you have got into an argument with and seen it work?i know i havent, and i dont know what to do...stay or just not control and stick to flying. I really hope things change for the best. Im just getting sick and tired of the nerve that people have calling eachother out over a hobby thats SUPPOSE to be fun.

Looking forward to hearing more,

Bryant

Joe Caban 844086
Posted
Posted (edited)

Teamwork means expecting the man next to you to mess up occ[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ionally and being prepared enough to help him through it... and vice versa.

Accusing him of being wrong or saying his idea sucks... is NOT teamwork.

Thinking you can do better on your own... is not teamwork.

Team work is a frame of mind.

To be part of a team you have to be unselfish in your performance, and non-judgemental of the performance of your team mates.

Otherwise, you are just one person with an opinion and a voice, who won't accomplish anyrhing more than any other opinion and voice out there.

[email protected]

Edited by Guest

Regards,

JX

Richard Green 810012
Posted
Posted

At the end of the day a teammate doesn't find fault with anothers performance, and yet helps them overcome it just the same.

Perhaps there is room for more TEAM and less player amongst some.

Richard Green

VATSIM Supervisor

SB Testing & Support Team

VRC Testing & Support Team

Daniel Hill 810430
Posted
Posted
I got tired of the complaining and the b!tching....

To me, your treatise seems to indicate otherwise.

Respectfully,

Daniel Hill 810430

[Just Plain Ole' Dan]

Opher Ben Peretz 882232
Posted
Posted

Living on this planet in these times is not simple. It is not the forces of nature we have trouble with, but human character. Therefore, to live, produce and enjoy, we need to work on ourselves, beyond just getting educated about human values. We need to learn to tolerate other ideas and welcome the different. These issues arise everywhere- marriage, work, and play. At times, when it becomes a little difficult, I try to put on Mr. Spock's attitude- useful, always to the point, neutral and a master at avoiding unnecessary conflict.

I got tired of the complaining and the b!tching....

To me, your treatise seems to indicate otherwise.

Regards, Opher Ben Peretz

Senior Instructor

APP_5106_LLBG.jpg

Daniel Hill 810430
Posted
Posted
...when it becomes a little difficult, I try to put on Mr. Spock's attitude- useful, always to the point, neutral and a master at avoiding unnecessary conflict.

LOL. It's good to see you are as good at it as I am.

By the way, Mr. Spock was never "neutral." He told it like it was. As an example, I quote him in the episode entitled "The Alternative Factor." Here, Spock addresses Lazarus.

"I fail to comprehend your indignation, sir. I have simply made the logical deduction that you are a liar."

I would call that anything but "neutral" on Spock's part.

Respectfully,

Daniel Hill 810430

[Just Plain Ole' Dan]

Roland Collins 800023
Posted
Posted

There is no "I" or "U" in "TEAM".

How many of these have been used so far in this thread?

Roland Collins

Daniel Hill 810430
Posted
Posted
There is no "I" or "U" in "TEAM".

How many of these have been used so far in this thread?

Roland Collins

But there is a "ME" in team. LOL.

Respectfully,

Daniel Hill 810430

[Just Plain Ole' Dan]

Roland Collins 800023
Posted
Posted

Only for a backward thinking person!

Sorry! ... but you walked right into that one!

Respectfully

Roland

Daniel Hill 810430
Posted
Posted
Only for a backward thinking person!

Sorry! ... but you walked right into that one!

Respectfully

Roland

Ouch. LOL.

Respectfully,

Daniel Hill 810430

[Just Plain Ole' Dan]

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

While there is no "I" in team, teamwork *is* a two way street. You can not effectively work as a team if another member refuses to do so/participate. Teamwork is not always possible, and depending on how the team is run, teamwork does not always produce the best results either.

Is it usually a good thing? Yes! Is it always the way to go, most definitely not.

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted

Heh.. this comes from the business I am in, which is appropriately named TEAM:

Together Everybody Achieves More

'Nuff said.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Dennis Whitley 952478
Posted
Posted

The essence of teamwork is saying "Let's go", instead of "You go".

Dennis

WWW.VATUSA.NET Previous Management

New ATC Click Here

http://flightsimx.cyclops.amnesia.com.au/index.html

Roland Collins 800023
Posted
Posted
The essence of teamwork is saying "Let's go", instead of "You go".
... or saying, "I'll go"

It is all about synergy.

Roland

Joe Caban 844086
Posted
Posted
Perhaps there is room for more TEAM and less player amongst some.

Unless you're Michael Jordan, and most of us are not!

Regards,

JX

Johnathon Neilsen 955672
Posted
Posted

This is why i live and control in Aus!

955672.png

Michael Oberg 855611
Posted
Posted

Hey Bryant, you sure hit the nail on the head. I also took a leave due to all the negativity. I am back controlling as well, however reading some posts that people put out, you have to wonder why some of these folks are in VATSIM to begin with. It seems there is more complaining then enjoying the hobby. Whats the point? thanks for your post, I agree 100% Mike O.

Michael Oberg

Bruno Pinto 964946
Posted
Posted

Teamwork = vZHU ARTCC

Cheers!

Bruno Pinto

VATME - OOMM - C3

atc1o.png

bannervf7kp9.jpg

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

Believe it or not, controlling and flying within VATUSA _IS_ still fun. We routinely laugh it up in ZLA with tons of planes in the sky. There are still good times to be had, folks. Policies can be challenged and negotiated without disrupting the reason we're all here, to be the pusher or pushee of tin.

Chad Black
Posted
Posted
Heh.. this comes from the business I am in, which is appropriately named TEAM:

Together Everybody Achieves More

'Nuff said.

BL.

Team Security? I use them all the time for my business.