You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VFR question from Europe ;-)

Joerg Stenger 813658

Joerg Stenger 813658
Posted
Posted

Hello,

I searched the vatusa site but didn't quite find what I'm looking for.

I know, how to fly VFR in our vARTCC, and I have some faint ideas about Airspace structure in the USA (and I know that VFR SQ is 1200 in the USA ).

Other than that, I'm pretty lost regarding the subject of flying VFR in the USA (e.g. what do I have to do to fly in Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] B airspace and do the "scenic tour" over NY?).

Is there some "VFR 4 Dummies" somewhere that is accessable on the VATUSA page with the "Do's" and "Dont's" or anywhere else?

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Jörg

--

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

968.png

Kiel McGowan 813486
Posted
Posted

You can actually completely fly below Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] B and do the full tour of the Hudson River in New York airspace. There is a nice "VFR Corridor" under the cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] B along the whole Hudson River. www.myairplane.com has the VFR terminal chart for New York, if you look on that you will notice the shelf is I think 1200ft for the majority of it, but you do need to drop to below 800 at some point if I remember correctly.

If you want to actually fly in Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]-B, all you need to do is contact the Approach controller in the area and ask for clearence to enter Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]-B, without that you cannot enter. Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]-D you only need radio contact, a.k.a the tower just saying "rgr, with your aircraft callsign". If you want "flight following" you can request it with any controller, this will simply get you a squawk code, and the controller agrees to monitor your flight. The controller will issue traffic to you throughout the flight...but seperation is still maintained by the pilot.

Theres a little crash course for you, I am sure others can add to it.

Joerg Stenger 813658
Posted
Posted

Kiel,

thank you for the link - this is really a good source for VFR charts (and it's in my bookmarks now )!

Two more questions

Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] B airspace:

From another thread it became clear that there are no dedicated entry or exit points into cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] B airspace. So I request Clearance to enter the Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] B airspace from TWR (???) and get the permission. If I just want to cross the airspace, what would be the phraseology to leave the airspace?

Flight Following:

What would be the phraseology to cancel flight following? Which station do the flight following - CTR? APP? What happens if eg. ABQ_CTR agreed to do flight following and I fly into DEN airspace and DEN_CTR is online, too; will I be handed over from ABQ_CTR to DEN_CTR or would it be my responsibility to switch?

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Jörg

--

968.png

Dustin Robbins 887494
Posted
Posted
Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] B airspace:

From another thread it became clear that there are no dedicated entry or exit points into cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] B airspace. So I request Clearance to enter the Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] B airspace from TWR (???) and get the permission. If I just want to cross the airspace, what would be the phraseology to leave the airspace?

In the US you would actually be getting clearance to enter cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] b airspace from the approach controller. The phraseology would go something like... "Memphis approach, N123AB is 40nm S of MEM, 4500 feet, request permission transition through bravo airspace." The controller would then grant or deny your request. If leaving cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] b airspace and you have not requested further VFR flight following APP/DEP control would terminate your radar service and change you to advisory frequency... "N123AB, you are leaving bravo airspace, radar service terminated, squawk VFR, frequency change approved."

Flight Following:

What would be the phraseology to cancel flight following? Which station do the flight following - CTR? APP? What happens if eg. ABQ_CTR agreed to do flight following and I fly into DEN airspace and DEN_CTR is online, too; will I be handed over from ABQ_CTR to DEN_CTR or would it be my responsibility to switch?

You would cancel flight following with the center controller... or if you are under cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] b or c airspace with the approach controller, as participation is required within cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] b or c airspace. So, if you are outside of cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] b or c and in VFR conditions, which you better be, you'd cancel with center. It would be said as... "Memphis Center, N123AB, cancel flight following." Say if you were leaving cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] b airspace and departure controller knows you were continuing flight following, he would hand you off to the appropriate center controller.

Travis Faudree 821145
Posted
Posted
So I request Clearance to enter the Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] B airspace from TWR (???) and get the permission
In the US you would actually be getting clearance to enter cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] b airspace from the approach controller

Actually, sometimes the clearance to enter the Bravo does come from tower. Fly VFR out of St. Petersburg/Clearwater Intl. and you'll more than likely get a clearance from tower (or ground or delivery; but all the same facility) to enter the Tampa Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] B

Kiel McGowan 813486
Posted
Posted

Same is normally true in New York airspace, LGA/JFK/EWR all have dedicated VFR positions during busy times, at least I think all 3 have it. They monitor all the traffic new heliopeters, sightseers, helicopter rides, joy riders, ect., but on VATSIM i would bet you need to go through Approach...

Joerg Stenger 813658
Posted
Posted

Thank you all for your hints!!!

I now do feel more confident to start flying VFR in the US

In spring, some fellows and me will do south coast UK, guess, we'll use the summer to tour the US

Any VFR places you can recommend in the standard FS2002/FS9 scenery?

Thanks again and

Best regards,

Jörg

--

968.png

Fred Clausen
Posted
Posted

You can take a look at the Grand Canyon. Might want to get some addon mesh for it though.

Fred Clausen, vZAB ATM

ZAB real life

Marc Sykes 852946
Posted
Posted

Those who plan to fly VFR in American airspace might be interested in this article, just published at the ZLA site:

http://www.laartcc.org/article_page/11

Enjoy.

Marc Sykes

Toronto ACC Trainee