You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Vroute + ServInfo

Luke Harvest 929620

Luke Harvest 929620
Posted
Posted

I made a VATBOOK on Vroute but it didn't appear on Servinfo as a prefile!

Is that suppose to happen?

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

Yes. Flight bookings and VATSIM prefiles are two separate things. A prefile can only be made 2 hours before the flight and the main purpose is to enable you to pick up the flight plan without having to retype it. Flight bookings with VATBOOK act as a very early warning to controllers about your flight.

To avoid confusion between the two, vroute.info does not support prefiling flight plans to VATSIM servers, and fully supports VATBOOK with ATC and flight bookings.

Michal

vroute.net founder

Luke Harvest 929620
Posted
Posted
Yes. Flight bookings and VATSIM prefiles are two separate things. A prefile can only be made 2 hours before the flight and the main purpose is to enable you to pick up the flight plan without having to retype it. Flight bookings with VATBOOK act as a very early warning to controllers about your flight.

To avoid confusion between the two, vroute.info does not support prefiling flight plans to VATSIM servers, and fully supports VATBOOK with ATC and flight bookings.

Michal

Ahh ok so they're not the same! Do you think you'll plan to incorperate the VATSIM prefile webpage into Vroute. I personally would like it, so it makes a prefile so you pick it up through SB or FSINN and the controller does with VATBOOK. Have it on the Export page for the RTE maybe to below "Export Format" have a button saying Vatsim Prefile? I think this would really enhance Vroute!

Scott Johnston 890281
Posted
Posted

I think it would be nice to see prefiles on the online page, along with bookings.

Martin Georg 811874
Posted
Posted

Hello Michal,

yes, I would fully encourage you to combine both features. To have a longer-term flightbooking is a good and important feature, but it should also include an option to prefile the flightplan (as you store the booking on some kind of server a routine could be added to initiate the prefiling 2 hours prior to the planned flight time). IMHO that´s important to avoid confusion about different and incompatible booking systems.

best regards,

Martin Georg

3500.png

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

The main objective of flight booking user interface was that one must be able to book a flight in 20 seconds. This is achieved by not selecting a route, but only the airports and an airplane - the route selection takes place in the background.

While such automagically selected route is good enough for booking, it is not good enough for VATSIM prefile. Therefore to prefile VATBOOK flight bookings 2 hours before the flight I would have to make the user interface much more complicated. And this I want to avoid.

Michal

vroute.net founder

Roman Dreyer 961839
Posted
Posted

in addition to that, as i know, to book a preflight in vatsim, you need the user number and the personal p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word for vatsim

and i don't think that nor the pilots neither vRoute want to deal with sensitive info like p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]words

Robert Ogden 985378
Posted
Posted
in addition to that, as i know, to book a preflight in vatsim, you need the user number and the personal p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word for vatsim

and i don't think that nor the pilots neither vRoute want to deal with sensitive info like p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]words

It already does.

216.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Other sites do it already, by directing the user's browser to the VATSIM prefile page, and pre-filling all the info. The user just needs to enter their VATSIM p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word and press the submit button. vroute never needs to know the user's p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word.

Robert, vroute doesn't know your p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word now. When you confirm your account, you are doing so through a web page hosted on VATSIM, not on the vroute servers. All vroute knows is that you successfully authenticated on the VATSIM page.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Robert Ogden 985378
Posted
Posted
Robert, vroute doesn't know your p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word now. When you confirm your account, you are doing so through a web page hosted on VATSIM, not on the vroute servers. All vroute knows is that you successfully authenticated on the VATSIM page.

Oh I know that vroute and Michal don't know the p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word. What I meant is that vroute has already "danced" with the VATSIM info during the registration process. The pre-filing thing would be the same thing. A form pre-filled that just needs the CID and the PW and submitted.

216.png

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Guys,

by the way: if you use Firefox (it does not work with MSIE, afaik) you can safe your VATSIM ID and p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word in the flightplan-prefile form. Everytime you have a program inserting data into this form your VATSIM ID and p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word will be there automatically, I find that very convenient! To do this leave the entire prefile-form empty except for the ID and p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word and try to send the flightplan this way and make Firefox save the form/p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word data. The next time you use it, it will work all automatically.

Robert Ogden 985378
Posted
Posted
Guys,

by the way: if you use Firefox (it does not work with MSIE, afaik) you can safe your VATSIM ID and p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word in the flightplan-prefile form. Everytime you have a program inserting data into this form your VATSIM ID and p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word will be there automatically, I find that very convenient! To do this leave the entire prefile-form empty except for the ID and p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word and try to send the flightplan this way and make Firefox save the form/p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word data. The next time you use it, it will work all automatically.

Unfortunately, ever since I upgraded to IE 7.0, my Firefox does not auto-complete the prefile boxes and I have to type at least the first couple of numbers in the CID to get it to come back up. Not a huge deal but a little annoying.

216.png

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi Robert,

maybe completely uninstalling Firefox (also delete all the Firefox-settings in "docomeents and settings", don't kill your bookmarks if you want to keep them) and reinstalling it will do the trick?