You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Airline Logos and Country Flags

daniel smith 877264

daniel smith 877264
Posted
Posted

Hello,

Firstly Well Done.

Is there a way in the persons "route Info" to see the Airline Logo and Country Flag like in Serv Info?

Regards,

Daniel.

849.png

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

Country flags for registrations are already in place. If they don't show up for a particular country please email me the country name and the registration prefix.

Airline logos will be in place in the next major release. I didn't want to follow the SI way where after a few months the only thing Michael was doing was manually updating all the world's virtual airlines . I have a better way to do it but it requires some programming work first.

Michal

vroute.net founder

daniel smith 877264
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the quick reply! Australia we are not permitted to put "VH-XXX" by the vatpac division. it is now just "VHXXX" with out the dash. If you can fix that, it would be awsome. Again thanks for your hard work!

Daniel.

849.png

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

Done.

Michal

vroute.net founder

daniel smith 877264
Posted
Posted

I noticed..... If only we could get customer service like that everywhere!!!!!!! Thanks again

849.png

Robbie Close 936559
Posted
Posted

Daniel, you are actually incorrect both are exceptable, VHXXX is only encouraged.

Robbie Close

Member of RAAFvirtual and RANvirtual

Brian Beach 915973
Posted
Posted

I am a novice programmer, so please don't yell at me.

Actually, it appears that adding airline logos don't need to be a part of a major release, they would be placed in the status window (which, I believe, is updated centrally). I understand that it would take a while (and I know you have a ton of feedback because it is a new release), but adding a submission form to the website to update logos seems relatively simple.

Brian Beach

VatsimPHP Developer: http://www.bbflights.com/VatsimPHP/

AFA Detroit Hub Director: http://www.flyafa.com/

userbar603862kx9.gif

Mark Richards
Posted
Posted

Michal

While adding New Zealand is ZKxxx, no hyphen either.

Papua New Guinea is P2xxx, also no hyphen

Mark

Mark Richards (811451)

Auckland, New Zealand

Paul O'Donnell 969350
Posted
Posted

Singapore is 9V

Malaysia is 9M

Would it be possible for vroute to recognise all domestic callsigns with and without the hyphen? I prefer not to use the hyphen as its more realistic on the scope for the controllers. But there's always some pilots flying with the hyphen.

I noticed today that the country flag did not appear for a UK callsign without the hyphen.

thanks in advance Michal.

Regards,

Paul O'Donnell

SINvACC - INS/CTR+

www.sinvacc.net

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

All 4 (Singapore, Malaysia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea) added.

Unfortunately the option of not requiring a hyphen ("-") is hard to achieve. This is because prefixes are different length - some countries have one and some have two letters. I use the hyphen to split the registration into the country prefix and the rest. In Poland we use SP-*** and i've never seen a notation without the hyphen.

The option of permitting a flag upload is opening a whole set of problems. For example, I recall serious fights between two Polish VAs on who has the right to use LOT callsign and which airline should the link point to. I have a better idea so please let me do it my way - and don't expect me to disclose any details before it's ready.

Michal

vroute.net founder

Paul O'Donnell 969350
Posted
Posted

Thanks very much Mikal. Your hard work and effort is truely appreciated.

Regards,

Paul O'Donnell

SINvACC - INS/CTR+

www.sinvacc.net

• 2 weeks later...
Luiz Fellipe Carneiro 9843
Posted
Posted

Can't you use regular expressions to make this?

For example /^P[PTR]*-.../ will match Brazil registrations (PP-XXX, PT-XXX, PR-XXX, with and without the hyphen)

I know this works in Perl, some other languages support too, but dont know the one you are using.

Anyway, congratulations!!! Wonderful software! And if I can help, just ask. I know PERL, ASP and SQL languages.

Vince Horan
Posted
Posted

I haven't checked out how intelligent Vroute is in regard to differentiating between an airline style callsign (ICAO XXXnnnn format) and a country registration callsign. I know novice pilots do not help by having unrealistic callsigns. However, Michal if you need help identifying country registration formats, I am your man! Generally if a callsign is all alphabetic it is most likely to be a registration callsign, there are only a few where it is a single letter country being C, D, F, G, I and N, otherwise it is two. N will be followed by 1 to 5 numerics with 0-2 alphabetic (up to a maximum of 6 - no leading zero, no I or letter O), others would be all alphabetic. C is an interesting one, F, G and I in 2nd place would be Canada, anything else would be a different country eg. CP=Bolivia but numeric, CS=Portugal, CU=Cuba but numeric.

I wont waste any further forum space on other examples, but I have the info if you need it Michal.

Vince Horan

UK DCRM, VATSIM Supervisor, Snr Controller

4003.png

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

I've just coded it the following way, to keep it reasonably simple and still reasonably accurate:

- N + a digit + anything later on = USA

- F, G, I, D, C plus 4 letters - France, UK, Italy, Germany or Canada, respecitvely

- anything where two letters or digits of a country code are followed by 3 letters - use the map as the first two characters indicate

- finally, just split by hyphen.

This way, N489A, DADDY and D-ADDY, PHAZY etc. will work. However, LOT375 won't be decoded as country=LO because there are digits, and SE123 won't be Sweden.

Michal

vroute.net founder

Tim Krajcar
Posted
Posted

This chart may be of [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_Registration

Tim Krajcar

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

Well, it is a very useful resource but i'm not sure if I plan to spend that much time trying to fix it. It's not complete either - in Poland, registrations SP-1234 are also used (for gliders). And finally, people on VATSIM don't stick to real life standards so closely, so rejecting an SP-something just because it contains two letters and a number would be too much.

thx anyway.

Michal

vroute.net founder