You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Asking to Register

David Saunders 818672

David Saunders 818672
Posted
Posted

Went to start Vroute, and it suddenly asked me to register again for no reason, if you chenge anything does this trigger thsi response. A bit confused because was using it earlier this morning

non-discript self importance signature

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

David,

Nothing was changed. The request to register can only happen if your computer presents an unknown ID (a random number generated at first start of the program). The ID can only be regenerated if the old one was for whatever reason deleted.

The good thing is that if you use the same email as before, your "new" installation will be connected with old one and all preferences will be transferred.

Michal

vroute.net founder

Neil Jackson 969667
Posted
Posted

Just for information, same thing happened to me. Vroute had been working fine all day today (10th Apr), then froze after about 12 hours. I killed the task when it invited me to, and then restarted Vroute, which immediately went into 'update' mode. Upon finishing the update successfully, Vroute appears to have lost my details and asked me to register again (which I will do directly, now that I've read the above posts).

The only other thing I can think of which might be relevant is that until today (around 12:00z) I hadn't used Vroute since the 5th April because I was away - maybe the problem has something to do with missing an update that happened in between?

Regards

Neil

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

No, missing a version update should not be a problem. I guess the Microsoft invention of My.Settings feature (which vroute uses to store registration data) looses it's settings when a client program upgrade is executed. I need to google around for some more info on this.

Michal

vroute.net founder

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

OK, i found a solution - indeed My.Settings are version specific, but there is a function that looks for previous settings and recovers them. Sorry to those who had to "register" again, starting from next version upgrade it will not be a problem anymore.

regards,

Michal

vroute.net founder

Neil Jackson 969667
Posted
Posted

Thanks, Michal! Glad you found the solution. From my own perspective, it was no great 'biggie' having to re-register - the system did re-link with my original account, and picked up all my old friends and avatar image, just as you said it would. I'll admit it was a slight worry until I knew about this thread - but that's exactly what this forum is for, isn't it?

Regards,

Neil

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

Well, there are a few thousand people out there who still run 1.0.4.3 and will be very soon notified about upgrade to 1.0.4.4. And they will have to re-register. So unfortunately I will now have to do something as stupid as launching 1.0.4.5 which will fix nothing but a bug with upgrading

Michal

vroute.net founder

• 3 weeks later...
Sergio De Ceglie
Posted
Posted

G'day Michal,

Firstly, thanks for taking the time to produce this excellent program. I do have a problem however. vRoute is still continually asking me to register even after updating to the latest version. I have cleaned out the temporary files and re-installed vRoute, however the next time my PC is restarted vRoute asks me to register again. I've tried both installation methods, using setup.exe and directly installing via IE. Is there anywhere else I should be looking on the system to remove legacy files relating to vRoute before I try re-installing again? It must be something particular to my Home PC as I have installed vRoute on my PC at work (for testing ) and I don't have the re-register problem there).

Thanks,

Sergio

support1.jpg.2d7a70c3242b4f53d79f7f4a154b5ebb.jpg

Proud supporter of Intercity Airways, visit www.ViaIntercity.com

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

Please go to Docomeents and Settings \ (your login name) \ Local settings and temporarily rename the Apps folder or move it someplace else. It is a bit radical solution (clean up entire ClickOnce store) and might affect other ClickOnce applications if you have any, but is entirely reversible so please give it a try and let me know if it helped.

Michal

vroute.net founder

Sergio De Ceglie
Posted
Posted

Thanks for replying Michal.

I have removed the "...\(login name)\Local Settings\Apps" folder a couple of times already in an attempt to solve this problem but so far no luck. Does vRoute store information in the registry or anywhere else?

Cheers,

Sergio

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

No, only the directory mentioned above is used for storing configuration info. The error you are reporting means that saving the configuration failed.

Would it be possible to try out vroute from another account (i.e. admin) on the same computer?

Michal

vroute.net founder

Sergio De Ceglie
Posted
Posted

Michal,

I re-installed vRoute (after cleaning out the temp folders) and used a different name on the Home PC (compared to the work PC) to register but kept the same email address for both PC's. After limited testing it seems this has stopped the re-register problem.

Hopefully my explanation above makes some sense.

Thanks,

Serge

Sergio De Ceglie
Posted
Posted

Bollocks! Spoke too soon. The problems back. Oh well, guess I will just have to put up with re-registering.

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

You really have exactly the same problem on completely different computer?

Michal

vroute.net founder

Sergio De Ceglie
Posted
Posted

Sorry for the confusion Michal. I only have this problem on my home PC. I do not have the re-register problem on my PC at work.

On my home PC, the icon to start vRoute on my windows "Start/All Programs/vRoute" menu changes. When this happens, which is nearly every time I use my home PC, vRoute will ask to re-install itself which then means I must re-register. Below are images of what I have described if it helps.

This is the start menu icon for vRoute when I have the re-register problem

vRoute.jpg

When I click on the above icon vRoute asks to install itself again

vRoute2.jpg

Although it would be nice to find a solution to my problem, I realise that as possibly the only person with this problem it wouldn't make good use of your time, especially with the many good suggestions and improvement you are working on. I'll keep looking into it though and keep you posted if I find a solution.

Cheers,

Serge

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

Given the above I would suppose that there is some other program around that somehow damages the ClickOnce application store. Sorry I have no better idea how to fix it.

Michal

vroute.net founder

Sergio De Ceglie
Posted
Posted

No worries.

As a quick test, I just re-installed vRoute, re-registered and then started it. It worked fine. I then re-booted my computer, went to start vRoute again and the icon had changed and I needed to re-install it as I described in my previous post.

Does vRoute use version 2.0 of .NET? Perhaps re-installing this might help?

Cheers,

Serge

Sergio De Ceglie
Posted
Posted

If it helps, another test.

Un-installed vRoute via control panel - add/remove programs.

Deleted ...\temp\apps folder.

Re-installed .Net 2.0

Re-installed, re-registered, and started vRoute (worked fine).

Rebooted computer.

Go to start vRoute - vRoute icon changed, need to install again and re-register.

Cheers,

Serge