You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Quick question about the Guard channel.

James Hudson 951027

James Hudson 951027
Posted
Posted

Hi, heard the new rules, just one question. If there is a working guard channel on VATSIM how come it is restricted in the US. I know some pilots that fly as real as possible and in some parts of a checklist it says announce on Guard 121.5. I can also understand that maybe some people will OVER use it. But why not just take it off vatsim?

NY T R A C O N A R T C C. JFK ISP LGA EWR PHL...

NY Instructor I1

ZNY Lead Event Coordinator

Braniff International Virtual Airways CEO braniffva.com

Matthew Horan 901577
Posted
Posted

Who said it's just the US? I believe VATSIM has a policy on it themselves..

Alex Stjepanovic 963114
Posted
Posted

It's available in the whole world!

I've noticed it quite a number genuine transmissions made over it.

Controllers have feelings too...

Ian Elchitz 810151
Posted
Posted

James,

I believe the intent of the policy with respect to atc and guard channel usage is primarily aimed at controllers.

As I understand it, VATUSA has limited authority over pilots flying in their airspace.

AFAIK there is no restriction for pilots using the guard frequency to simulate an emergency scenario.

Ian Elchitz

Just a guy without any fancy titles

Brian Beach 915973
Posted
Posted
Pilots should not carry on private conversations between themselves or controllers on the active communication frequency or on the "guard" frequency (121.50). This interferes with providing ATC services to other pilots. The guard frequency should only be utilized in cases of emergency and under no other circomestances.

Vatsim.net Code of Conduct, Pilot Regulations, section Six

Controllers should not carry on private conversations between themselves, pilots or other individuals on the active communication frequency, the ATC channel or on the “guardâ€

Brian Beach

VatsimPHP Developer: http://www.bbflights.com/VatsimPHP/

AFA Detroit Hub Director: http://www.flyafa.com/

userbar603862kx9.gif

Matthew Temple 880167
Posted
Posted

Referring to the Guard 121.5 not the ATC Channel used by controllers. I have never seen it used, and am also under the impression that it is forbidden period. Just my understanding, if someone can give me a past example on how it was legally used, I'd love to hear it to get a better baseline on the situtation. Any pilot that ever had an emergency in the airspace I was controlling, just called me up on my frequency.

Matthew Temple

Steve Ogrodowski 876322
Posted
Posted

The Global Guard frequency is 121.500, but is never usually used. Incidentally, the GUARD channel is text-based, like UNICOM. The UNICOM channel exists for inter-pilot communications, and limited use of the Guard channel is sometimes permissible.

The Guard channel transmits to both ATC and pilots no matter what frequency anyone else is tuned to, within a range around you...which is why it is generally considered disruptive. The other option available, in case conflict resolution is necessary, is the .WALLOP command, which sends a message to Supervisors (in case intervention is needed). In reality, the Guard channel is not truly necessary...but it is there.

In my four and a half years here...I have seen the Guard used in the U.S. once (I believe the person called a MAYDAY...dunno where), and really haven't seen a situation that warranted its use...but it tends to be pretty dull here in the Midwest

Steve Ogrodowski

Ryan Strad 827369
Posted
Posted

I've been here since 2001 and have not seen Guard ever used by pilots or controllers

Ryan Strad

ZOA - Senior Controller

ATC-CTI Student

Chris Gauthier 895085
Posted
Posted
I've been here since 2001 and have not seen Guard ever used by pilots or controllers

I'm not that much of an old-timer, but since 2004, I've also never seen it used, nor can I think of a valid use for it.

$mypvtrw() $radio()

{Name/Rank Not Allowed...See ServInfo and try not to crash}

{METAR Not allowed...Crash while checking Servinfo}

{No Other Info available...Excuse: No Bandwidth}

Craig Moulton
Posted
Posted

I can remember it being used (the guard channel) by controllers announcing that they were open/closed. I suspect that this was the primary reason it was banned. It may not have happened within VATSIM itself, but may have been something that happened in SATCO and was a carry over rule.

Fly Safe! Have Fun!

Craig Moulton

810358.png

Mark Brummett
Posted
Posted
I can remember it being used (the guard channel) by controllers announcing that they were open/closed. I suspect that this was the primary reason it was banned. It may not have happened within VATSIM itself, but may have been something that happened in SATCO and was a carry over rule.

It happened in SATCO quite often (I started in 1998), the reason being our membership was so low, it was essentially to announce we were online. We also did not have Servinfo, so it was tough to tell who was online unless you actually connected.

Mark Brummett

Website owner, http://www.zkcartcc.org

ZKC Events Co-ordinator