You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

FNO at Honolulu

Karen Dunbar 1002434

Karen Dunbar 1002434
Posted
Posted (edited)

As the recently appointed Events Director for VATUSA, I would like to briefly introduce myself. I am a retired psychologist who has been involved with aviation for my entire life. I am married to an ATP/Instrument Instructor, and have over 700 r/w hours in the right seat. I have worked as a program development consultant, and hope to apply those skills to creating the type of events department that will serve all the ARTCC’s in VATUSA.

Just thought I would share a couple of pics from Honolulu's FNO last night. While there were delays on the ground waiting for Oceanic clearance, and a server bump early on, it seemed that the event flowed pretty well. BTW, any pilots planning Oceanic flights in the Pacific Basin will want to check out

http://zak.vatusa.org/ for briefing material on Oceanic procedures. This should help speed up the clearances/releases for next time.

Thanks to everyone who participated last night, most especially the ZHN and ZLA controllers, and the ZOA guys who handled Oceanic.

This first pic was taken around 0200Z, at the height of the event. It looked to me like a flock of birds found a pile of birdseed and called all their friends to join in!

zhn7.JPG

This pic was taken immediately after the one above, and shows the activity inside the ZHN airspace. Note that, in addition to quite a bit of VFR traffic between the islands, there were also vUSCG craft practicing maneuvers, and a C-130 Hercules from vUSAF in the area for SAR missions.

zhn8.JPG

Join us next Friday night for FNO featuring Indianapolis.

Karen Dunbar

Events Director

VATUSA

Edited by Guest

Karen Dunbar

Events Director

VATUSA

Davor Kusec 990407
Posted
Posted

Welcome to your new job there! I hope the INDY FNO works out great and hopefully we'll see some great VATUSA events from you. See ya then!

Davor

ZID S3

Davor Kusec

Air Traffic Director | Northeast Region VATUSA

Supervisor | VATSIM

990407.jpg

Andrew Musselman
Posted
Posted

Welcome to VATSIM and VATUSA Karen. Last night wasn't the most smooth flight I have had but it was certainly worth my time. Thanks to the 7 or so controllers I talked to on the flight and we'll see you next time.

1000.png

Jeffery Williams 849847
Posted
Posted
Last night wasn't the most smooth flight I have had but it was certainly worth my time.

Well when you have 10,000 hours on VATSIM you're bound to have a not so smooth flight every now and then.

Andrew Musselman
Posted
Posted
Last night wasn't the most smooth flight I have had but it was certainly worth my time.

Well when you have 10,000 hours on VATSIM you're bound to have a not so smooth flight every now and then.

Oh come on Jeff. I only have half of that.

1000.png

Bryan Wollenberg 810243
Posted
Posted

Nice job guys! Honolulu and ZAK looked like you had your hands full. Glad ZLA could send a little bit of traffic your way too.

Bryan Wollenberg

ZLA!

Tony Lyons 976580
Posted
Posted

While I certainly appreciate the help of all the controllers I talked to, the one who stands out the most in my memory is the oceanic controller who hung in there with us for the 4 or so hours it took to get from LAX airspace to HNL airspace. It was never a dull moment! There were times when he had as many as 6 of us calling to give position reports all at once! He handled it all quite well.

Tony Lyons

Director, Online Operations

West Wind Airlines

WWA1369