You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VRC + VISTA PREMIUM = BAD!!!

Jamie Long 970101

Jamie Long 970101
Posted
Posted

Hello all,

Please help me out on this prblem if you can:

Ok, my VRC is not working correctly, shall we say with my new vista premium laptop. I have good grpahics card also. Anyways, here is my problem - The text that shows on the sector files is kind of in a different language or some symbols! Its hard to explain so just take a look at the below screenshot and take note of the text, the screen is the sector file of Biggin hill (EGKB).

52o13lu.jpg

Yeh so there is the pic im sure the text shouldnt be displayed like that. Now its not just that sector file ive installed and tried loads and there all like that. Also, have installed and re-installed & uninstalled VRC several times and no change!

So if you have any ideas as to how i can fix this problem, please reply to this post with your suggestions!!

Many thanks,

Jamie Long.

SERTS - Senior Student

KB/LC Mentor

25.pnglogo.jpg

jamieABRsig.jpg

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Looks to me like a video driver issue. The video driver for your card in Vista is probably not quite fully compatible with OpenGL.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Jamie Long 970101
Posted
Posted

firstly - thanks for your reply ross.

secondly - so is there anyway around this problem as i cannot control without fixing it?

SERTS - Senior Student

KB/LC Mentor

25.pnglogo.jpg

jamieABRsig.jpg

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

The only thing I could suggest is to try a different version (newer or older) of the video driver, if available.

Jamie Long 970101
Posted
Posted

Hmm no i dont have a newer/older video driver available, i notice your saying DRIVER so i could download a new or older video driver???

SERTS - Senior Student

KB/LC Mentor

25.pnglogo.jpg

jamieABRsig.jpg

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I have heard that downloading an older driver sometimes helps, yes.

Jamie Long 970101
Posted
Posted (edited)

Em im not really a computer expert, could you drop me a hint as to where i could download a video driver for free (if possible). My graphics card is a "ATI Radeon Xpress 1100" which is 32 bits and 256mb graphics. I am also using Windows Vista Premium with a 32bit OSystem & 1gb RAM.

Edited by Guest

SERTS - Senior Student

KB/LC Mentor

25.pnglogo.jpg

jamieABRsig.jpg

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

It totally depends on your card. If you aren't comfortable with drivers, I wouldn't try messing with it. Maybe you could find someone locally who can work with you on it.

Jamie Long 970101
Posted
Posted

em well above ive listed stuff if tht helps?

SERTS - Senior Student

KB/LC Mentor

25.pnglogo.jpg

jamieABRsig.jpg

Jamie Long 970101
Posted
Posted

yes i agree im not going to toy with it, so will leave it for now. Hopefully next release of VRC will be compatible

wen is VRC 4 ect going to be released and will it be compatible with vista?

SERTS - Senior Student

KB/LC Mentor

25.pnglogo.jpg

jamieABRsig.jpg

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

It's not a VRC compatibility issue. The next version of VRC will be out very soon, but I would be shocked if it changed anything for Vista compatibility. I haven't changed anything about how the graphics are rendered.

Mark Brummett
Posted
Posted

Correct..this has to do with Vista's limited hardware support right now. I've seen those issues mainly with video drivers on the motherboard (of the Intel variety). I have an NVidia 7950GTX videocard that VRC runs quite well on Vista Ultimate 64bit.

Mark Brummett

Website owner, http://www.zkcartcc.org

ZKC Events Co-ordinator

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

I think you might need a new ini file. I had a similar problem in XP, which was that all of my fixes and waypoints in VRC where showing as backwards C with a little cross attached to the bottom of the C. Hard to explain.

All my fixes and waypoints where normally depicted as small triangles. I thought it was a graphic problem also, in the end it transpired that I needed a new ini file.

Can I suggest that you uninstall VRC and make sure you get rid of every bit out of the registry and download it again and the reinstall.

Make sure you pof file alias file and sector files are backed up and safe in a completely seperate folder. I tend to have a VRCWICK folder on my desktop that has all that stuff in, Wick being my nickname and not some clever computer speak.

All the best mate and let us no if it gets fixed.

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

Jamie Long 970101
Posted
Posted

Ok would like to thank all for your replies... also i have fixed the problem and all is back to how it should be. All i did was download a even newer ATI display driver and bob's your uncle, problem solved!!!

Many thanks,

Jamie Long.

SERTS - Senior Student

KB/LC Mentor

25.pnglogo.jpg

jamieABRsig.jpg

Brian Beach 915973
Posted
Posted

If you can see the scope, then you have a good driver

To fix the text problem, just turn on "Static Text"

Brian Beach

VatsimPHP Developer: http://www.bbflights.com/VatsimPHP/

AFA Detroit Hub Director: http://www.flyafa.com/

userbar603862kx9.gif

Nate Johns
Posted
Posted

Ross,

What do you know about an integrated Intel GMA 950 graphics card in a laptop? HP Pavillion laptop running Vista Home Premium.

I've had some serious issues trying to run VRC 1.2 ranging from the Range-bearing line not originating from the double-click point (or showing any information for that matter) to a totally blank scope when maximized. I can't click on anything, but it still displays the lat/long value of the cursor position when that option is selected.

Just strange stuff all around. I put in the latest drivers and all.

~Nate

Nate Johns

"All things are difficult before they are easy."

- Dr. Thomas Fuller, Gnomologia, 1732

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I don't know anything about Intel cards (or any other card for that matter) under Vista. I can say that lots of people have had problems with Intel cards under XP, such as the border around the buttons in the button bar not being drawn, etc. I'm betting that the Intel drivers under Vista are even more buggy since they are "younger".

• 3 weeks later...
Benjamin Fels 871459
Posted
Posted

VRC use a lot OpenGL,

i have a Dell XPS M1710 with a Geforce Go 7900GTX 512MB, i upgraded to Vista for personnal matter.

VRC is unuseable on my PC since there is no optimized OpenGL driver for my video card on Vista,

My PC keeps on experiencing slowdowns due to OpenGL emulation,

too bad i gave up on using VRC.

I do regret VRC use a 3D layer to draw a radar in 2D.

VRC users , watch out , you might have to choose between Vista and VRC.

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted
VRC users , watch out , you might have to choose between Vista and VRC.

Ben,

I have been using VRC on VISTA since release without any noticeable issues. My video card is the same as yours too.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Benjamin Fels 871459
Posted
Posted

Are you sure you readed it well ? Geforce Go 7900GTX 512MB

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Ben,

I don't think (know?) that mine is a GO - it is certainly a 7900 with 512MB though.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Benjamin Fels 871459
Posted
Posted

The Go version is the laptop version of the 7900 GTX.

There is a driver for the Gforce 7900 GTX, there is no driver for the Gforce Go 7900 GTX.

Tim Aaron 879165
Posted
Posted

Hi I have the same problem to for my VRC on my windows vista with the wierd encodings of the VORS and the fixes i was wondering about where jamie may have downloaded that ATI driver?

31990595nm2.th.jpg

Tim Aaron 879165
Posted
Posted

NVM guys i fixed the problem if anyone runs vista premium and has an ATI card 256GB 1400x go here http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?s=dhs&c=us&l=en&cs=19&k=r153383&cat=sup it may also support some other types of ATI cards. But I warn you guys that this is for MY specific installation. Although i did the static text trick in VRC, my intersections wernt triangles they were e's for example eZOGAP and eWINNS. My airports were not shown with the square indicator they were shown with d's so example dKMSP or dKLNK. Now after installing this ATI driver now everything works normally. Also another thing when installing this link when it finishes the first thing you wanna do is shut down then wait 2 minutes then reboot after rebooting log into your name let everything load. Once everything loads shut down again after shutting down wait two minutes then reboot. Then once logging in again let everything load and go into your VRC and see if it works. So im saying once finishing installation of the driver shut down and restart TWICE. Its better to do this so that some things that get saved after the first time will get implanted after the second restart. Well hopefully this link works for you guys like it did for me. I dont wanna see anyone else having this issue either because it really is a tough cookie to fix if you dont know what you are doing.

Sincerely Yours,

Tim Aaron

31990595nm2.th.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Alex Bailey 969331
Posted
Posted

A main problem I see is when people use jump drives to transfer VRC and its files to their new computer/laptop. You then need to reinstall VRC to load up the proper files to make sure the text and symbols get transfered correctly.

Alex Bailey

ZMA I-1