You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Adding new csl files from flightsim.com

Robert Droege 917433

Robert Droege 917433
Posted
Posted

I downloaded ualcsl and ualcsl2 and the patch. It says to replace the csl and SB *.csv file. I am wondering though, if I do that, won't I lose all the csl aircraft that are already there? Is there a way to add the new aircraft csl files to the one I have from VATSIM? I wanted to add a lot of the military csl's like the f16 and f18 and c130's to my present csl files. Is there a way to do that?

Martin Georg 811874
Posted
Posted

Robert,

you should NOT edit or expand the CSL set at all. CSL depends on the fact that all users stick to a common database, i.e. the stock CSL. If you select an aircraft from a CSL expansion, all other users who do not have this expansion installed (most likely the vast majority of all users) will see their own plane if they look at you. Usually this results in a m[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ive framerate drop. I´m sure you don´t want to cause this, right?

Anyway, our two new clients are short around the corner, so the mod would be for a few weeks anyway only.

best regards,

Martin Georg

3500.png

Robert Droege 917433
Posted
Posted

Danke sehr Georg! I won't touch them. Why are they available? I presume you are from Deutschland, my ancestors are from Minden, I hope to visit someday! Auf wiedersehn!

Martin Georg 811874
Posted
Posted

Hi Robert,

yes indeed I´m from Deutschland. I live in Frankfurt, just a very few kilometers away from the EDDF airport.

Why are these CSL extensions available?`Well, Squawkbox can be used on private FSD networks also (for example my VA used it for more than 4 yours for their bi-weekly private online flights), and for those limited user groups you can distribute modified packages, because there´s reasonable [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ureance that everyone will have them installed. And this is exactly what canot be [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ured in the VATSIM environment.

BTW, our two new clients both will use different mechanisms to display multiplayer traffic, so the times where you have seen other as your own plane will be over soon.

best regards,

Martin Georg

3500.png

Robert Droege 917433
Posted
Posted

Not to sound ignorant but what is BTW? Is that something to do with SB 3 I am reading about? Thanks again.

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

BTW = By The Way.

/ Lennart Vedin / vedinat.png910701.png

Robert Droege 917433
Posted
Posted

Hello Lennart. A post by you about opening ports for AVC helped me get online about 2 months ago after I had searched for help for 2 days! I take this chance to thank you. Can you educate me about the 2 new clients Martin is talking about. Are these the SB3 and or FS Inn I read about?? Thanks.

Doc

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

> Are these the SB3 and or FS Inn I read about?

Yes.

More about SB3 and or FSInn, I know nothing at all.

/ Lennart Vedin / vedinat.png910701.png

Robert Droege 917433
Posted
Posted

Lennart or Martin, I just spent time reading about FSInn and FScopilot on the mcdu website. Is it ok to download and use fsinn and copilot with VATSIM? I see some threads that say yes and others say no. It looks like an awesome upgrade for the whole sim experience. Is there anywhere I could read more about this? thank you.

Doc

Richard Critz
Posted
Posted

No, you cannot. The definitive list of what is approved and not on VATSIM can be found in the Docomeent Library on the main VATSIM web site www.vatsim.net

Specifically, you want www.vatsim.net/software.html and you will see that both SB3 and FSInn are approved only for authorized beta testers at this point. General release of both will occur later this year.

Richard Critz

VP/Development (VATSIM26/VATGOV5)

VATSIM Board of Governors

VATSIM Network Team

Robert Droege 917433
Posted
Posted

Thank you.

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted

Back to the CSL question, while a couple of people here have said not to do it (and I agree, don't), I would also suggest not even downloading them at all. If I remember correctly, SB3 will included updated CSL files, as well as those for VIP or VIP2. So you will have a choice of which ones to use. Anyone out there beta testing SB3 can confirm this.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Martin Georg 811874
Posted
Posted
SB3 will included updated CSL files, as well as those for VIP or VIP2.

Hello,

Squawkbox 3 will ship with a basic model set called VIP3 with about 1700 model/livery combinations. In addition, a selection of generic models called the "SBX modelset" is also included. Additional modelsets can be installed and will not interfere with other people´s PCs.

FSInn can use any kind of installed aircraft as a multiplayer model (preferably you should use low-poly Multi-LOD AI-models for this purpose). AFAIK (AFAIK = as far as I know) it is not yet decided if any, or which model set will be included in the release.

best regards,

Martin Georg

3500.png

Robert Droege 917433
Posted
Posted

Do you know how will the VATSIM community be notified of the availability of these new clients?

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
Do you know how will the VATSIM community be notified of the availability of these new clients?

Simple.

Email sent out to everyone, announcements made to AVSIM, blurbs on the VATSIM website, and posts made to the NOTAMs forum here.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Richard Critz
Posted
Posted

The best answer is to tell you to watch the home page and this forum system. Those are our primary methods of communicating with the membership and both should be a regular part of your online browsing experience.

Richard Critz

VP/Development (VATSIM26/VATGOV5)

VATSIM Board of Governors

VATSIM Network Team

Robert Droege 917433
Posted
Posted

Will do! Thanks.